Solved! Change your laptop's display monitor from IGPU to GPU

Jul 9, 2020
Hello

So I have an Acer Nitro 5 laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 3750H (IGPU is AMD RX Vega 10) and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650.

Title says it all, is it possible to change the laptop's display monitor from my AMD RX Vega 10 (IGPU) to my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 (GPU)? Because I noticed in my display monitor, it says that it is run by amd rx vega 10 and the screen refresh rate is 120hz, but when I play video games, I don't think it runs in 120hz (I can't seem to noticed the more smoothness gameplay) because my video games are run with nvidia graphics card.
Thank you in advanced for the answers

Solution
Yup there are different variants of acer nitro 5 60hz 120hz 144hz.So can you change the display monitor from igpu to gpu? Anyways what do you mean about newer drivers in acer support site and not in nvidia?

If the card switches to the nVidia one for games depends on the setting, it should. You can tell by running a program like MSI afterburner and checking what card is active there while inside a game. Drivers for the video card you can download from several places, the video card chip maker or the laptop vendor. For a laptop you want to use the drivers from the laptop vendor.

Also you said it does not "feel" smooth, that is not a good way to tell what refresh rate it's running at, your screen may be set at 120 hz but if...
I don't think the Nitro 5 has a 120 hz display in it, are you sure it does? Or are you talking about some external monitor you are using? Did you check for newer drivers from Acer support site? Don't use ones from nVidia directly for laptops, that often does not work properly on laptops.

Jul 9, 2020
I don't think the Nitro 5 has a 120 hz display in it, are you sure it does? Or are you talking about some external monitor you are using? Did you check for newer drivers from Acer support site? Don't use ones from nVidia directly for laptops, that often does not work properly on laptops.

Yup there are different variants of acer nitro 5 60hz 120hz 144hz.So can you change the display monitor from igpu to gpu? Anyways what do you mean about newer drivers in acer support site and not in nvidia?

If the card switches to the nVidia one for games depends on the setting, it should. You can tell by running a program like MSI afterburner and checking what card is active there while inside a game. Drivers for the video card you can download from several places, the video card chip maker or the laptop vendor. For a laptop you want to use the drivers from the laptop vendor.

Also you said it does not "feel" smooth, that is not a good way to tell what refresh rate it's running at, your screen may be set at 120 hz but if your video card does can't run the game you are playing that fast it won't be as smooth as you think it should be.

Solution