Charger Nightmare! - Pix included :(

leethedon1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hi all, hope someone can help me.

I recently purchased the following laptop from eBay, Viglen Dossier NS+ (D27ES), and can not for the life of me find out what type of charger i need.

The label on the back clearly says 20v 4.5a, so i know what to look for in terms of power.
The problem is, i have been advised by several well respected sellers, buisnesses and other online contacts on what type of charger i need (size wise), and of course all of them are completely different :sarcastic:

I can find many power supplys on eBay with the 20v 4.5a power rating, they all say size is 5.5mm x 2.5mm.
But another person is telling me i need a A9 6.3mm x 3.0mm supply, and while the size looks like it is the right fit, the power ratings look way different.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75W-TOSHIBA-6100-A9-11K-LAPTOP-ADAPTER-CHARGER-LEAD-/170670619147?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item27bcc2fa0b#ht_1864wt_1144

Really confused. If i could just find out what size my laptop port accepts i think it would be job done.

Laptop port:
imag0048d.jpg

Power info on back of laptop:
imag0047er.jpg

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Hello,
your computer is a D27ES manufactured by Clevo.

From what I can gather from the user manual that you can get from Clevo website is that you need

DC-Output 20V, 4.5A, 90w from the power adapter

now, regarding the size of the jack, I'm slightly confused by which dimension applies to what. But given that you still have your old adapter can you check the jack size on that? The best solution here is to figure out who made your power adapter and go to that company for exact answers regarding the specifications.

as far as I understand the dimensions are something like inner diameter, outer diameter, length of jack. Now the length could vary depending on casing design/motherboard etc. Outer diameter could probably be off by about...

AntiZig

Distinguished
Hello,
your computer is a D27ES manufactured by Clevo.

From what I can gather from the user manual that you can get from Clevo website is that you need

DC-Output 20V, 4.5A, 90w from the power adapter

now, regarding the size of the jack, I'm slightly confused by which dimension applies to what. But given that you still have your old adapter can you check the jack size on that? The best solution here is to figure out who made your power adapter and go to that company for exact answers regarding the specifications.

as far as I understand the dimensions are something like inner diameter, outer diameter, length of jack. Now the length could vary depending on casing design/motherboard etc. Outer diameter could probably be off by about 0.3mm as long as it can still make the contacts properly, inner diameter is the one you have to worry about since it has to land perfectly on the rod in order to make good contact.

Solution

leethedon1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

Hi thanks for the reply. Unfortunately though, i do not have a adapter for this laptop. I got it as it came.

Clevo you say? Interesting. I did wonder why i saw there name pop up so many times while searching. As does Medion. Are you sure it is made by them though? I know that they make a laptop with the same model number, but is it this one?

AntiZig

Distinguished
that's what it says right in your picture. Clevo are the ODM company, after that typically other company buys the laptop from Clevo, rebrands it and puts in the hardware like CPU/RAM/HDD/etc but the fact of the matter is that Clevo is the one who put the laptop case + motherboard together, so they are the ones providing the power adapter with it.

leethedon1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Ah yes, i see it now. Should have looked harder really :/

Still, i'm no further along in finding out the charger size for this model.

The only charger that gives 20V, 4.5A, 90w power levels is the 5.5mm x 2.5mm type, that i can see anyway.

leethedon1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

No radio shack here, that i know of anyway.
There are similar places, but they charge you just for walking in the door! I was hoping to get this sorted from the comfort of this chair lol.

Ah well, i'll do a bit more searching and see what i can come up with. Thanks for the reply's/info/help.