Charging an iPod on another computer...

TheLoneMarmot

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I'm going away for 1-2 weeks this summer, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to charge my iPod a few times while I'm not at home. I think that if you charge your iPod on a computer other than the one that you use it on, it will delete all your songs if that computer has iTunes also. If a computer doesn't have the iTunes software, can you charge your iPod on that computer without it deleting all your songs? Just wondering, because I don't want to bring my big speakers with the charging dock if I don't have to.

Orac

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
You can charge the ipod on any pc with a usb port, provided you have the ipod to usb adaptor. I have the shuffle and my pc at work only has usb 1.1 & it does fine. A message is displayed that the pc doesn't have usb 2.0 and that data transfer will be slower.
My pc at work doesn't have itunes.
If another pc has itunes and you don't want your ipod library overwtritten/replaced, then on your pc with ipod connected go into itunes edit menu, goto preferences and set it to not automatically update. This prevents another itunes library from overwriting your ipod.
Also check the ipod help.

TheLoneMarmot

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
yeah, but how do I do that? It won't let me uncheck that, and you have to select a playlist when you go to automatically update the following playlists, since that's the only other option there.

TheLoneMarmot

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
So I've just plugged my iPod into a computer that does not have iTunes software so I can charge it... just wondering why the "Do not Disconnect" message is still flashing. It's not deleting all my stuff, is it? 8O 8O 8O

G

I know this thread is dead, but when itunes opens it will prompt you "this ipod is synced with another itunes, blah blah blah" and it will ask you if you want to cancel, erase & sync, or transfer songs from old ipod to new itunes. If you just hit cancel and then close itunes the ipod will just continue to charge and nothing will happen to your library.