cheap headset + mic for gamming, audio ?channels? - seeking advice

myNamesTaken

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
I'm looking at some cheap headsets plus mic for pc gamming - BF1/ origin plus some steam.
I asked about one and the guy at the store said 'Yeh, you could use that. You probably won't get all the channels but it will do.'
I didn't ask (in a rush) but - what's this about channels? What might I be missing? Any advice?
I currently have some headphones that seem fine to me but want a mic to add on that attaches to the headphones. I don't want to spend a lot - easy option seems pic up a cheap combo.
Thanks for any help.

Solution
You just lose simulated surround, which os cool but not that big a deal. I gamed for years and years with a cheap headset and still enjoyed my games.

myNamesTaken

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

Thanks J_E_D_70 - I see these are '7.1 Channel'. What do you loose on a cheaper set that dosen't have that? Is it just poorer quality sound or might I not be able to hear some stuff?
Thank you

myNamesTaken

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

Thanks again J_E_D_70 - just to let you know, I tried a cheap and cheerful but it was awful (the mic was useless). So I've gone with a more expensive option, which I now have a question about (but that's another post).