Cheap laptop that I can upgrade later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SithNinjaTyler

Estimable
May 6, 2014
So I've upgraded 2 laptops in the past to Core i5's. They were cheap Celeron Laptops, but after the i5 upgrade, were pretty fast. The processors were only like $30 each, too. I was wondering if anyone else has come across one of these, as I'm looking to get a laptop, but want it to have some power in it, without spending too much. (I am under 18.) So, if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks.

Solution
I used to have a Dell Inspiron N4010 as my main PC and I recommend it for a affordable PC that can be upgraded

(Warning: a SSD would be preferable and, a external fan is required to have it last longer and, expect to get 4 solid years with it!!)

It does have some issues (cheap frame, cheap keyboard but, if taken care of well, it should last longer than mine)

overall, I know for a fact the processor can be upgraded. There was a thread on the dell support forums: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19515572

The other thing I like about it is, the Ram can be upgraded too! In my N4010's final days, I upgraded it to 8GB of Ram! Ultimately, the motherboard is failing and, I had to retire it :( motherboard died...

SithNinjaTyler

Estimable
May 6, 2014
Actually, they do exist. The laptops in question are the Compaq CQ57-339WM and the Asus x501A. They have removeable CPU's that I upgraded to the Core i5 2430M and the Core i5 2540m. I can elaborate more, but if you don't know any laptops, then it probably won't help.

Most current generation laptops that have Intel CPUs are soldered into the motherboard. The trend really started Intel's mobile 4th generation Haswell CPUs. To the best of my knowledge all mobile 5th generation Broadwell and 6th generation Skylake CPUs are soldered into the motherboard.

All AMD APUs are soldered in the motherboard as well.

SithNinjaTyler

Estimable
May 6, 2014
I don't need a 4th, 5th, or 6th generation CPU. I just need something I can upgrade. Plenty of older CPU's are decently fast, like the aforementioned 2540m. If you don't know of any laptops that can do this, please refrain from answering.

KingofXP

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015
I used to have a Dell Inspiron N4010 as my main PC and I recommend it for a affordable PC that can be upgraded

(Warning: a SSD would be preferable and, a external fan is required to have it last longer and, expect to get 4 solid years with it!!)

It does have some issues (cheap frame, cheap keyboard but, if taken care of well, it should last longer than mine)

overall, I know for a fact the processor can be upgraded. There was a thread on the dell support forums: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19515572

The other thing I like about it is, the Ram can be upgraded too! In my N4010's final days, I upgraded it to 8GB of Ram! Ultimately, the motherboard is failing and, I had to retire it :( motherboard died due to heavy abuse!) I also dropped it many times!

As weird as it may sound, this is a great PC ("Middle Way") and, I consider it the "Lexus" of the laptop world!

On Amazon, I found some in the range of $200-$600(totally overpriced for pristine condition)

Best part about them is that they come with Windows 7 Home Premium! When I upgraded it to Ultimate, It ran like a tank!

Solution

I provided you with general information about what laptops to avoid looking at if you are only interested in laptops that will allow you to upgrade the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.