China's iPad 2 Launch Turns Violent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They may take our freedom, but they'll never take our iPads! Go China!

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Beyond sheep following the shepherd. We're now talking stampedes. There's no thinking going on with these Apple people.

Brilliant marketing. Absolutely brilliant.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I can't talk about others, but I really can't understand how come somebody with enough money to buy this item can stand in line for more than one hour to get it on the first day. It's not like the line will be always like the first day. It's not like they haven't been waiting at least a few weeks, what's one or two days more? It's not like having such device one day early will have improved benefits like one year of life more. Or is it? I mean, they will be showing off to their friends, won't they? I don't know what kind of marketing is able to change people from normal sheep into zombies like that.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]and everybody was kung fu fighting.....[/citation]
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]Lol it was Jobs[/citation]
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]do they hire kung-fu masters to man their counters?[/citation]
LOL

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]I can't talk about others, but I really can't understand how come somebody with enough money to buy this item can stand in line for more than one hour to get it on the first day. It's not like the line will be always like the first day. It's not like they haven't been waiting at least a few weeks, what's one or two days more? It's not like having such device one day early will have improved benefits like one year of life more. Or is it? I mean, they will be showing off to their friends, won't they? I don't know what kind of marketing is able to change people from normal sheep into zombies like that.[/citation]

Don't you question the gods, ... I mean Steve Jobs.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
This may sound sick, but when people get hurt or die in situations like this I find it to be a more contemporary version of survival of the fittest. If your love for something so trivial puts you in harms way then it's darwinian fitness at that point. No consumer device or shopping opportunity is worth your safety. If you feel differently then go get trampled or hurt over a POS electronic device. In the meantime I'll be chillin safely, happy to wait my turn to get any consumer electronics. The early adopter mentality is ridiculous. Passion over the development of technology is commendable but irrational behavior to acquire it is just stupidity.

that is why I will survive when the zombie apocalypse comes. and some won't.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Twist3d1080[/nom]The capitalization of the Chinese people is now completed. Bwahahahahahahaha![/citation]

Indeed, look at em', the disgusting swine clenching for their crappy little electronic gizmos. It's fine examples like this that show who, what, and where we are at the end of the day; no need to pretend.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]ummmm sounds a lot worse than the States to be honest. But every country has its pro's and con's, so lets not be too judgmental.[/citation]
No, some countries are definitely better than others. The official ranking is:
1. United States of America: The best of the best
2. United Kingdom: Because they gave birth to the USA
3. Australia: Because they speak English and have their own continent and are a good country to have when playing the board game Risk.
4. Everyone else
5 Canada

Note: Just kidding, Canada is awesome.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Quite intense. You'd think the rich in the Chinese society would at least learn some manners.[/citation]

Well, the real riches hire fighters to cut in the line and buy the ipad2/white iphone4/ or whatever for thems

By the way, I will not be suprised that a lot of people in the line (or more cutting in the line) are going to sell the ipad/iphone online for big profits. Since the earlier they can get the device the higher the price they can sell it, many of them do have the reason to be "aggressive". They are not the fanboy. They are the smart investers..;)

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
husker: That pretty much sums it up- yeah people in America make alot of jokes about Canada even though we're friends. Now this Apple stuff is pretty crazy though. I wonder what the markup is over there in China, it's gotta be like $800 a phone.

dapneym

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Hmm, interesting. You used the word 'queue'. Don't see that much with Americans. I really do think it's a under-used word in this country.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]pale paladin[/nom]This may sound sick, but when people get hurt or die in situations like this I find it to be a more contemporary version of survival of the fittest. If your love for something so trivial puts you in harms way then it's darwinian fitness at that point. No consumer device or shopping opportunity is worth your safety. If you feel differently then go get trampled or hurt over a POS electronic device. In the meantime I'll be chillin safely, happy to wait my turn to get any consumer electronics. The early adopter mentality is ridiculous. Passion over the development of technology is commendable but irrational behavior to acquire it is just stupidity. that is why I will survive when the zombie apocalypse comes. and some won't.[/citation]
Except that the strongest of these crazy early adopters are the ones surviving :p any of them surviving is bad for us cause they will breed crazier stronger early adopter children who will take over the world :/

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]ummmm sounds a lot worse than the States to be honest. But every country has its pro's and con's, so lets not be too judgmental.[/citation]
I dunno... trampling a walmart employee on black friday is up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.