Choosing between two budget laptops (Asus vs Lenovo)

Dante_12

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Good day everyone,

I need your heldI am looking for a replacement for my old laptop (dell inspiron) which recently got it's motherboard fried (long story).

I am a student and will be mainly using it for school projects, internet browsing and multimedia consumption. I don't do gaming but my 8 year old nephew will use in on weekends playing Left4Dead and some casual games and watching youtube (I might also end up giving it to him when I have enough money to buy a more capable laptop, maybe this christmas).Photoshop will also be installed but will rarely be used and only for light editing.

I planned on buying another Dell but I cannot find one with 14-15in screen that I can afford right now.

Anyway, I have found two that's within my budget:

Lenovo IdeaPad 110-14IBR

Processor : Intel Celeron N3160  1.60 GHz Quad-core Processor (2M Cache, up to 2.24 GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home
Memory : 4GB DDR3L 1600
Display : 14-inch HD TN GL (SLIM) Display
Storage : 500GB 5400RPM HDD
Battery : 3 cell
WiFi : WiFi 802.11
LAN : 10/100M
Bluetooth : Bluetooth 4.0
Ports : 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
Dimensions  : 340 x 245 x 22.9
Weight : 4.4 lbs (2 kg)

Asus A541sa-XX153T

Processor : Intel Dual Core Celeron N3060 1.60GHz 
Operating System : Windows 10
Memory : 4GB DDR4
Display : 15.6" HD 16:9 (1366x768) LED backlit 
Storage : 500GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
Networking : Wi-Fi Integrated 802.11b/g/n, Bluethooth
Interface : 1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for externalmonitor
1 x USB 3.0 port(s) 
1 x USB 2.0 port(s)
1 x USB-C Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
Battery : 3 Cells 36 Whrs Battery
Power Adapter : Plug Type :ø4 (mm)
Output :
19 V DC, 3.42 A, 65 W
Input :
100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal

Dimensions : 381.4 x 251.5 x 27.6 ~27.6 mm (WxDxH)
Weight : 2 kg

Design-wise, I prefer the Asus one's slim design. Lenovo looks bulkier though it' s smaller in dimension an has smaller screen.

They both have the same features and have similar specs that I was looking for except for the RAM and CPU. It seems that Asus has the better RAM but Lenovo's got the better CPU. Is that right?

I have no previous experience with either brand. Is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Solution
In general use you will not notice any differences between the two. In any use really, you will need a benchmark to tell the difference. Both brands are similar in quality. Get whichever one you feel more attached to. Spending a bit on a replacement solid state hard drive and maybe upgrading the RAM to 8 GB is a good idea. I have worked on several low end laptops and they are slow on stock setup with a slower hard drive and not enough RAM to run much.
In general use you will not notice any differences between the two. In any use really, you will need a benchmark to tell the difference. Both brands are similar in quality. Get whichever one you feel more attached to. Spending a bit on a replacement solid state hard drive and maybe upgrading the RAM to 8 GB is a good idea. I have worked on several low end laptops and they are slow on stock setup with a slower hard drive and not enough RAM to run much.

Solution