Solved! Chrome Now Needs Hardware Acceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
In order to resolve a forgotten past issue, I Turned Off hardware acceleration in google chrome. It has been off for quite some time. Lately I've begun having display issues when chrome is maximized, i.e., trails following a window I move around as well as sluggish behavior with the context menu when i try and copy/paste something from a web page.
I just Re-Enabled hardware acceleration and the issues have all disappeared.

My question is Why does chrome suddenly need help from my RX 560 GPU? Is my old Phenom II 955 processor finally begun to fail or maybe my old memory is beginning to fail?
Thanks

Solution
Nothing began to fail... It just depends how much stuff you have in opened window, it eats RAM like Black hole stars..
For instance if i open LetGo and scroll 5-6min the tab would start to stutter, later it will crash due to ram usage of that single tab was (if i remember, 2-3GB?) and crashed.
Sometimes its better to have Hardware acc, also I would you suggest to try other web browesers (Since you can import/export bookmarks).
Nothing began to fail... It just depends how much stuff you have in opened window, it eats RAM like Black hole stars..
For instance if i open LetGo and scroll 5-6min the tab would start to stutter, later it will crash due to ram usage of that single tab was (if i remember, 2-3GB?) and crashed.
Sometimes its better to have Hardware acc, also I would you suggest to try other web browesers (Since you can import/export bookmarks).

Solution

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
@ RememberThe5th

Thank you. I was worried i would be forced to upgrade soon. Yes, my chrome is using 4 to 5 gb of ddr3 memory with only my homepage tab open! I have used other browsers in the past but these days i'm basically married to chrome :)

When i play games like 'we happy few', i should close out the browser, right? Having it open during gameplay may overwork my gpu, right?

Well for me, usage is around 1-5% on 11 tabs when its loaded..
And uses GPU usage as i am scrolling and mostly CPU usage.
I really dont know much about these hardware acc. But personally, i dont think it will actually use GPU much, except if you play video , well test it out.

But for hardware acc, I've had only issues with R7 250 with screen tearing on youtube videos, nothing else...

Status
Not open for further replies.