City Suffers After It Vanishes From Google Maps

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Kahless01[/nom]google has always been a word, these people are idiots. its a 1 with 100 zeros after it. its just been turned into a verb because people are stupid.[/citation]

Actually, that is a googol.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Why don't people just step out of their homes and take a look around town or go for a walk, they'd know what to do where then having to google for it, funny, in my town I guess, I'd be able to go around blindfolded knowing what to do where..... [/citation]

Sure! Hold on, let me start up my GPS feature on my Nexus One...

[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Last I checked, Google can't even list the locations of businesses correctly or even street numbers for that matter. In our town, they have some places as being in the middle of a river, nowhere near the businesses themselves and other businesses listed as being at the wrong end of the road they are on.Those are just small errors on Google's part. I've tried notifying Google of local errors, trying to submit corrects and it's like no one there gives a hoot one way or the other. I've seen only a few of the corrects get implemented months later.The easiest way to see what errors are present is to zoom in on a satellite map of an area that you are familiar with and see for yourself just where some of the oddball locations are marked.[/citation]

Actually, your error is a tiny data spec in a massive ocean of others most likely. Considering they are collecting and organizing billions of billions of data points, trying to correct the ones their own systems don't quite catch, I'd guess its a mammoth task just to triage all the correction reports, assigning importance to each. Just because your fix doesn't get fixed ASAP doesn't mean they don't care. Imagine the manpower needed to find an error, verify it is an error, research the right information, and double check (sometimes an error comes from one source and gets replicated elsewhere, further making the error harder to correct), and then submit the update.

On average, I can find information out I need on businesses reasonably well. But we live in an ever changing world. The data has to be constantly gathered, combed, cataloged, and entered.

The good news is that more intelligent software is in demand to do this work for us. Its entirely possible we'll see fewer and fewer of these errors as that technology gets better.

I recall hearing about the satellite view before. Its not as easy as setting one location for a business, it has to be accurate on ALL resolutions which is no easy feat.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
"The search giant has misplaced Sunrise a total of three times."

i think someone at google has a chip on their shoulder.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if google says you don't exist, you don't. it has become yellow page directory of yester years. you may want to put an add there to be known.

Status
Not open for further replies.