Cld-d605. Use s-video adapter -->composite or s-video-->SCART ?

althor1138

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I'm sure this information is out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Is there a better way to do this than the method I am using currently?

I have a CLD-D605 laserdisc player. I bought it 2 weeks ago. Why? I don't know really. It sounded cool. So far I have to say it is pretty cool indeed.

However, the recommendation by most that you should use composite-->composite seems to be a no-go with my television. The dot crawl is horrendous and the picture has quite a bit of noise in general. This leads me to believe that the TV has either has a terrible comb filter or maybe I have some settings wrong.

I haven't got an s-video connection on my TV(Sony kdl-40v5610) so I did this: I hooked up an s-video-->composite adapter to the s-video out on the laserdisc player and then plugged it into the composite in on the tv. The change was quite dramatic. The picture now looks quite comparable to dvd quality. Maybe even better in some respects.

Are there any drawbacks associated with this method? Should I use a s-video to SCART adapter instead?

This seems like a backwards way of doing things since the composite signal gets separated into y & c in the laserdisc player and then sent to the s-video adapter and combined into composite signal once again before going to the television and getting separated again.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Robert

althor1138

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Well it seems the scart connection on my tv only accepts a pal signal and not ntsc so it seems that I'm stuck using the s-video adapter to composite solution.