CLEANING CONTROLS AND JACKS (INFO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your volume control crackle when you turn it? Do the left and right channels cut out when you turn the controls?
You need to clean the controls. OK-- better disconnect the power before doing so.

Contact cleaner and switch cleaner is NOT suitable for cleaning volume controls! Get your application straight!
Incorrect type of cleaner will strip the lubrication out of a volume control and render your control FUBAR. Contact cleaner MELTS plastic! Using the wrong type of cleaner can DESTROY your controls.
Use ONLY lubricated control cleaner, which is specifically designed to clean rotating mechanical parts. THIS IS NOT CONTACT CLEANER!!!
The correct type of cleaner is sprayed into the control in small amounts, ONE spray. Spray this into both sections (left and right) of the control.
Next, rotate the control back and fourth several times, to distribute the cleaner across the entire surface. Allow the control to dry, and wipe off excess cleaner.

An example of REAL control cleaner is DEOXIT or PRO GOLD, sold by CAIG chemical company. This is not cheap, but it will not harm your expensive equipment.

DO NOT rely on a sales person to recommend the correct type of cleaner, verify it YOURSELF, using the recommendations posted on the cleaner manufacturer's website.
You have been warned.

CLEANING THE HEADPHONE / AUDIO JACKS TO CURE AUDIO CUT OUT AND CRACKLES:
The headphone jack contains switching contacts which disconnect your speakers when you plug the headphones in. However, if these contacts become oxidized or corroded, your left and right speakers may stop functioning.
Spray a small amount of cleaner into the jack. Insert a headphone plug, then pull it out, repeat the insertion several times. This will assist the cleaner, to help clean the contacts inside the headphone jack.
After the contacts have been cleaned, your left and right speaker outputs might function again. Try it.

The tendency is to use cheap cleaner, that's where most go wrong.
deoxit D100 is for cleaning
Deoxit G100 is for lubrication
or in your case G100 by itself will be fine, you cant use cleaner without lubricating afterwords. But you can use lube by itself.

I went to a local music store cause I was out of control lube
I asked if they had pro gold
but they sold me (according to recommendation of store owner) ESE Tronic Clean + dry film lube
I tried it. It was mostly solvent, and striped the grease out of the control shaft, that's bad
then I ordered some G100, when I sprayed it in there the thing loosened up and worked perfect
Just goes to show you, G100 is like $22-$27 a can, but there is nothing to replace it. Nothing I have found has ever worked better or lasted longer, despite what the salesman said.

Since When??? Since ALWAYS.
The metal MUST be protected from Oxygen. The Oxygen corrodes the metal and stops the electrical contact.
The Oxygen breaks down the plating on the metal....that's why.
The lubricant seals and protects the surface of the metal, blocking oxygen.

Cleaner used for audio jacks and controls is ALWAYS lubricated.
NEVER apply non-lubricated "contact cleaner" to plastic parts. This can melt or damage the parts.

I hope that answers your questions.

drdhoward

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

Question: Sound is diminished and some crackling at one of the XLR ports on a Kustom speaker I use. When you take the weight of the cable off the connection, it goes away. Is this a dirty connection problem (I admit cleaning hasnt been done) or is something loose within the speaker port? it is not the cable since i have tried several. it always happens late in the gig when the bass and drums have been wearing the speakers out. i should not have to support the cable because the other speaker does not have the issue and it not supported.

nicolatesla

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Replace the male and or female connectors.
Possible bad solder connection inside the connector(s).
Cleaning is only temporary on a speaker cabinet connection usually.
In pro sound: It's better to just use fresh connectors.

Reactions: puppykicker
Status
Not open for further replies.