Cleaning Sticky Keys

Gizmotist

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
So a few months ago I accidentally spilled some beer on my laptop's keyboard and now the right side of the keyboard has sticky keys. Everything still works a perfectly fine. I took out all the components to see if I could remove the keyboard, from what I noticed I'd have to break the keyboard basically to remove it. If I were to get 99% isopropyl alcohol and submerge the laptop with the screen open could that remove the remaining beer stains? If this is a viable option should I remove the battery and motherboard (everything is soldered to it) as well?
Hmm just realized this probably should have gone in Tech Support.

Solution
so i just now actually looked at the keyboard in question via this site. http://www.laptopkeyboard.com/LaptopKeyboard.php/Asus/VivoBook%20/E403%20(Black)

and now i get it is is like a one pice thing or whatevea so pop it off disconnect it from the mobo.. there is a video for how to do this linked in the page then clean the crap out of it with the alcohol

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
get the alcohol but rub and let dry ...submerging it is just going to make for a nice PoP sound. did you take apart the laptop ? the keyboard should be seced with just a few screws to the body....

pop your laptop model in google and look for a video about swamping out the keyboard. should give you the info you need.

reedo_43

Distinguished
"I'd have to break the keyboard basically to remove it" surely the keyboard is removable. Search youtube for keyboard removal for your particular laptop. Then soak it in alcohol. I have never seen a non-removable KB.

Gizmotist

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Nooope not really removable, I couldn't really locate anything that weren't these little plastic rivets, I'll try removing the parts again to see if there were any hidden screws. The laptop is an Asus Vivobook e403sa-us21.

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
so i just now actually looked at the keyboard in question via this site. http://www.laptopkeyboard.com/LaptopKeyboard.php/Asus/VivoBook%20/E403%20(Black)

and now i get it is is like a one pice thing or whatevea so pop it off disconnect it from the mobo.. there is a video for how to do this linked in the page then clean the crap out of it with the alcohol

Solution