Solved! Clicked on a website.. popup came through? Virus?

phomatic

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I clicked on a link I clearly shouldn't have and a popup immediately came up saying something alone the lines of having a trojan and needing to call my ISP immediately.

I closed Chrome and am currently running a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials, but I hear MSE is really bad.

#1 would you recommend getting Malwarebytes instead to see if I have a virus?

#2 Should I be worried about having a virus? Change passwords?

Thanks.

Solution
1: Malwarebytes (or similar) will NOT scan for, nor remove a virus, they deal with malware, you need AV software for this purpose.

2: VERY, VERY unlikely, by closing your browser and not clicking on the link you did the right thing, killing the possibility before it has a chance to infect your system.

TBH MSE isn't THAT bad, not top notch but still useful.
I'll suggest you download Ccleaner (or similar) and use it to clear out the browser history and .Temp folders, a lot of low level crud tends to try and hide there, besides running this little app every time you exit a browsing session helps to keep those folders under control. It's available here: https://www.piriform.com/get-ccleaner

coozie7

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
1: Malwarebytes (or similar) will NOT scan for, nor remove a virus, they deal with malware, you need AV software for this purpose.

2: VERY, VERY unlikely, by closing your browser and not clicking on the link you did the right thing, killing the possibility before it has a chance to infect your system.

TBH MSE isn't THAT bad, not top notch but still useful.
I'll suggest you download Ccleaner (or similar) and use it to clear out the browser history and .Temp folders, a lot of low level crud tends to try and hide there, besides running this little app every time you exit a browsing session helps to keep those folders under control. It's available here: https://www.piriform.com/get-ccleaner

Solution

phomatic

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Let me be clear that I clicked Cancel in the popup, the browser froze, and I then had to task manager close Chrome in which it took a few seconds but eventually closed.

Hoping that still is not an issue. Downloading Ccleaner now to take a look. Already deleted history and entirety of my cache.

Thanks to all for replies, it's very appreciated.