Clicking sound from system board

Status
Not open for further replies.

str8cuse

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I have an Acer 4720-4721 that has been lying around for a while. I recently decided to repair it as it was given to me broken and i never really had any immediate plans to fix it.

The initial symptoms were that the machine simply would not power on. No lights nothing. Upon further investigation I noticed a repeated "clicking" noise from within the machine when the power was added. I took the machine down to just the power board and motherboard. Added power and the click remains. So I replaced the motherboard and power board as both were cheap finds. I received the parts this past week and went about the process of replacing the items.

After a quick rebuild of the system I noticed the clicking noise again upon adding power. I have tested with a universal power adapter and a brand new replacement power adapter. Both using the intended voltages.

My question is if anyone has had experience with this "clicking" noise and what specifically it points to. I assume the replacement motherboard I am using is DOA. But I guess curiosity has the best of me and i would like to get some other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any further insight regarding this matter.

str8cuse

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for responding Brett. If you read my post you would see that I took powered a motherboard with nothing but the power board and motherboard. There were no components connected to the motherboard.

Hi :)

Disconnect the Inverter then ...if it still clicks, its the motherboard...

All the best Brett :)

str8cuse

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I had already guessed it was the motherboard sir. I guess I was looking for a more specific answer as to what exactly was clicking. as i could not put my finger on it (or my ear). Not a big concern just something I had not come across before.

Hi :)

Its probably a short across a track that's clicking... new motherboard time, if the machine is worth it...

All the best Brett :)

Status
Not open for further replies.