Solved! Cng.sys corrupt (without BSOD)

Oct 17, 2020
Help!
I have a Sony VPCCA,(Win7 Home premium) it was working all fine today, and then i did a shutdown.
This evening i booted it again, and , it would display 'Starting windows' but the windows logo doesnt appear and it gets me into startup repair.
StartupRepairOffline, Autofailover, CorruptFile.
In advanced section i only suspected,
E:\windows\system32\drivers\cng.sys is corrupt.

I tried multiple fixes like chkdsk, safe mode, last known good config, system restore, but none works.
sfc /scannow doesnt run because of startup repair tools.

Please help me to restore this error without the cd!

PS:I had around 4 days past got a bluescreen error involving k7sentry.sys, i deleted my k7 antivirus, and i downloaded malwarebytes.
I had downloaded nothing, was just playing minecraft today.

Last edited:
Solution
You do realize (unless you have a special arrangement with MS) you are running an unsupported OS. You need to upgrade to Win10. No bug fixes or security fixes for you otherwise. Sounds like you need to reinstall Windows but I don't know how you do that for Win 7. You can download Win 10 installers from MS, but I don't know about Win 7. I doubt they make those available any more.
Oct 17, 2020
Yeah i forgot to mention, i scanned twice (when the laptop was fine) i got no threats, neither i had visited/downloaded any shady thing.
when 'starting windows' appears, i spam F8, also safe mode starts loading, but it again puts me in startup repair. :(
I'm unable to even enter safe mode.

You do realize (unless you have a special arrangement with MS) you are running an unsupported OS. You need to upgrade to Win10. No bug fixes or security fixes for you otherwise. Sounds like you need to reinstall Windows but I don't know how you do that for Win 7. You can download Win 10 installers from MS, but I don't know about Win 7. I doubt they make those available any more.

Solution