Combine HDMI-video and analog audio to HDMI with both

Mads Skjern

Commendable
May 1, 2016
My pc only outputs video on HDMI, and not the audio track. My tv only has one HDMI input, and when it is selected it does not play the audio from any of the audio phono inputs. A solution would be a device that takes HDMI in and audio in (3.5mm jack or phono) and outputs the combination on a HDMI port.

Does such a thing exist? Preferably super cheap, as this is an old tv not worth spending too much on.

Solution
Turns out, that my pc does support audio via hdmi. I always believed it did not, and have used alternative solutions for years in fact. The solution for enabling it in Linux was:

Start pavucontrol

$ pavucontrol

Select the Configuration tab. Select one of the profiles containing HMDI, fx "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analog Stereo input".

Thanks to alexolu for his help.

Source for the Linux solution: http://askubuntu.com/a/232407/183654

Mads Skjern

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Do you suspect, that my pc actually does output audio on hdmi?

I'm on Linux, so I can't do what you ask me to do, but I will try and answer as well as I can. It's an Asus s200e. The command "aplay -l" should list the playback devices. Here is the result:

Code:
joe@joe-s200e:~$ sudo aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Mads Skjern

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Great! I'm glad you are trying to help me out :) I'm confused by this forum. I don't know how to answer to your answers, it seems I can only supply my own solution :/ ?

The CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz

Mads Skjern

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Turns out, that my pc does support audio via hdmi. I always believed it did not, and have used alternative solutions for years in fact. The solution for enabling it in Linux was:

Start pavucontrol

$ pavucontrol

Select the Configuration tab. Select one of the profiles containing HMDI, fx "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analog Stereo input".

Thanks to alexolu for his help.

Source for the Linux solution: http://askubuntu.com/a/232407/183654

Solution