combo audio jack not picking up my headset mic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2018
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 gaming, it has a combo audio jack and I am trying to get it to see my headset which has a builtin mic which uses the 3.5mm. so far the system only recognizes it as headphones with no mic. there is only the internal laptop mic showing up in the recording tab under the sound settings. the headset works fine for listening but the mic is not working. the device manager detect my headset as "headphones(high definition audio device)", which I believe to be the problem (if i am understanding the difference between headset and headphones correctly: headphones do not have a mic, headsets do)

Solution
It is really common for this to happen.

Before doing anything else, I would try the headset on a different device to make sure it isn't the mic that is the problem. Should it work fine on other devices, then you will need to go back to the "Control Panel" on the computer.

When you are in "Control Panel", "Sound" and on the "Recording" tab, right click on the black white background and make sure both "Disabled" and "Disconnected" are checked. Now if it still doesn't show then, you may well have to connect the headset a different way. What I mean is through a USB port instead of the the 3.5mm one. To do this would require a 3.5mm to USB adapter. When using that it should work without any issue.
It is really common for this to happen.

Before doing anything else, I would try the headset on a different device to make sure it isn't the mic that is the problem. Should it work fine on other devices, then you will need to go back to the "Control Panel" on the computer.

When you are in "Control Panel", "Sound" and on the "Recording" tab, right click on the black white background and make sure both "Disabled" and "Disconnected" are checked. Now if it still doesn't show then, you may well have to connect the headset a different way. What I mean is through a USB port instead of the the 3.5mm one. To do this would require a 3.5mm to USB adapter. When using that it should work without any issue.

Solution

gmccague

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
This is a problem with Windows 10. It started (for me) with Version 1709. The combo jack just stopped working. When you plug the headset in the computer does not recognize it as a headset. The solution? Go purchase a USB headset. I've a combo jack headset near every one of my computers (work and home) and I can tell you this really burns my britches. Also I now have to use up a precious USB port or carry a USB hub! Also good quality headsets don't come with USB. Bluetooth is probably an option except (wait for it) you have to remember to charge it. This issue applies to every hardware manufacturer I've come across running Windows 10 (Dell/HP/Acer/ASUS). These "death by little cuts" is causing me to re-think my decision to move away from OS-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.