Comcast Must Pay $16M For Blocking P2P Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
While I agree with Comcast getting slapped, I am a little skeptical on who gets the money. If anyone receives anything more than a small discount on their bills, that, too, will piss me off. I better not hear that 16 people got $1M or something. I am all for justice and consumer rights, but I'm against excessive awards. People don't understand that while the few get filthy rich off of product lawsuits the rest of the consumers end up paying when the price goes up. Same with medicine.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I'm confused, were they blocking p2p traffic or bittorrent traffic? isn't all traffic 'p2p'? how do you block bittorrent traffic? can't it use any port?

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
The only reason they are doing such :favor" to the consumer by, as they said themselves " put money back in the customers' hands without them individually going to court " is what simply shows that they rather ay that much total ammount devided to all the ones "feeling uhurt" from the P2P blocking cause they know well enough that since the case had future, they would end up paying about that much to each and every one sueing them to the end. If I were in their shoes I'd decline the offer and drag them to the end of this.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]I'm confused, were they blocking p2p traffic or bittorrent traffic? isn't all traffic 'p2p'? how do you block bittorrent traffic? can't it use any port?[/citation]
Most traffic over the Internet is client-server. P2P is a different protocol. Try looking it up.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]I'm confused, were they blocking p2p traffic or bittorrent traffic? isn't all traffic 'p2p'? how do you block bittorrent traffic? can't it use any port?[/citation]

There's SPI and other measures that detect the traffic type and peer to peer protocols independently of ports used.

G

How do they block the traffic? Easy.

Their filter looks at the packet header, sees a bittorrent header and drops the packet.

Glad to see them fined, but i hope it goes to the people who had their service and not a couple people.

Way too much false advertising these days. Need LOTS more of these lawsuits.

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gayan[/nom]when will "unlimited" be really "unlimited" .....[/citation]
Yeh... I use Virgin Media cable. They claim that connection is unlimited too. I torrent so slow and while others are downloading fast. I think they should get fined also.
Even they say connection is UNLIMITED, they throttle/limit my connection to 2mb/s if going over 3GB limit. I should getting 10mb/s but that's rare since I keep hitting limit.

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Ha! Pirates win another battle.[/citation]
lol i didnt even know about this and i been with comcast since 05-06

G

Only 16 million? That's not going to hurt Comcast one bit. They need to be taught a real lesson.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007

I would just like to say that I find it unfortunate you got voted down for learning.

G

I bet we'll not see a single penny,
in fact,
Comcast will just charge it's users for that fee, so instead of paying back the user for a service they ought to have done, they actually will ask the user to pay, because they blocked their p2p transfer!

Status
Not open for further replies.