Comcast Wins 'Worst Company in America' Award

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I don't complain about Comcast service in my area, which is decent, but the prices are way too high.
The sad thing is, there is only one cable operator in my city. I am NOT switching to AT&T, because I truly hate them and they offer lousy ADSL. I just wish the city wouldn't grant that kind of monopoly to a company. My only hopes are Google Fios (fat chance), or some hypothetical widespread Wimax service.
In the meantime I just have to cope with Comcast, and I'm not happy about it.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
I vote again for comcast. They have very clearly NOT built any more access points and cable boxes for our community, but they still love offering the service to new customers, so our internet is always slow, sometimes getting below 14kb/s. Ofcourse, this is always our fault, or something wrong with the line. So the process is as such: Call them up, talk them into submission, they "magically" find the problem, you get another 24 hours of what your REALLY paying for, and then the IP address is changed and your back to square one. Total BS. GIVE US WHAT WE PAY FOR!!!

michaeljr

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Never had really any issues with Comcast / AT&T while living outside in a Chicago Sub.. used them from day one when they went active in the area till they moved, many many years before Comcast even owned the previous company.. back when you had to buy your own modems and you weren't allowed to use a router (did anyway) but I also never needed a tech and did all my own installation and trouble shooting.

I can think of many worse companies in America.. say our government.. or any company that cost us American taxpayers billions in bailouts..

there are far worse things in the world than lossing your internet connection or having to wait one someone or paying a bill or going without tv for a few hours.. really kind of shows just how silly we American's are..

a company that is making it, is the worst? but ones that fail and stick everyone else with the bill are not?

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Why do people hate AT&T so much? Seriously, I'm curious. Is it the wireless service? Because I've got AT&T U-verse and I'm really happy with it. I don't have their cell service though.

michaeljr

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
till I moved away that is.. they haven't moved.. just someone kept buying the broadband company.. think it went through 3 or 4 owners in 10 years till Comcast was the latest.

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
had comcast for 8 years now, but i truly can't complain... currently getting 32Mbps for the cheapest internet they provide... i guess i lucked out :)

oberonqa

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
lol.... all you Comcast haters out there... how much are you paying per month and what are you getting for that price? Me... since I live out in the middle of nowhere (67 miles outside of Las Vegas), I am pretty much limited to Verizon Cellular Broadband. I pay $120 per month for two data lines, with each line sporting a whopping 600kb down/100kb up and a 5GB bandwidth cap. The only other ISP where I live is HughesNet.

So I ask again... what are you Comcast customers paying and what are you getting?

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Comcast definitely deserves this title, I've used their service for years, and if there were another cable company in the area that didn't require a dish, I'd switch in a heart beat. They are terrible, most of their customer support barley speaks English, they charge you for visits, even if its their hardware that's the problem, their internet is terrible, and their TV services just don't work way too often for how much I'm paying for them.

anbaxter

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I use to have comcast. They SUCK big time and they keep raising their prices. When Verizon came out for FIOS, I counld not switch fast enough. I think that comcast lost about 80% of their customers here when that happened. They had a monoploy here until fios and they abused it. I hope they fall apart.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I've been with at&t wireless for over 6 years and it has never done me wrong. If you are having a problem maybe you should switch, and if you can't switch because you use the hipster iphone then maybe that's your problem.

I've never used comcast but charter cable was terrible. But I now use Timewarner and the speed is phenomenal and cable channels and HD is great. My bro uses At&t u verse and I really like it for tv, may not be as fast as cable for internet, but still a good service.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]kschwarz88[/nom]I've got Comcast, and I hate them. Costs way too much, but they're the the best ISP in my area. I'm practically stuck with them.[/citation]

This is why Comcast is the worst company. Because most of the time, they're the ONLY company.

It's a monopoly, that's why everyone hates them.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
comcast straight up has a monopoly in my area, you cant get a decent connection without them so its either pay them a shitload or be unable to even stream a fucking video online. we need fios or google fiber out now in this area.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Yes, the greediest companies seem to be the worst, Comcast with their uber price raising sucks, AT&T same thing, what happened to the day when I could get a cell phone and use it for $50 bucks or less. BUT NONE OF THESE GUYS COMPARE TO THE BANKS, the worst companies in the world are Banks, you should have learned that after the Bail Out, Comcast couldn't go to the government and ask for $750 billion dollars and get it, and tell the government don't askk me how I spend it, Banks can and did. Not only that Banks simply used the money to not help customers, but help their bottom lines, and stay afloat, pay it back and then continue screwing the customers, why do you think Foreclosures are still happening, the banks weren't actually forced to help anyone. Bank of America is #1, Chase #2, Wells Fargo #3. These guys simply used the money to buy up competitors or to ride out the wave of bad debt, not to mention they simply sold their bad debt to the government, for pennies instead of being forced to pay creditors, like the average person does. See what happens if I don't pay my mortgage are the banks going to accept pennies on that debt? Comcast and AT&T are bad, the Banks are fare worse.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Its Comcast for me, or DSL. Therefore, like many of you, I am stuck with the price gouging Comcast. When I moved into my new house Comcast came out to install cable modem, and two DVRs. I told the guy, just get the DVRs, and cable modem up and running, I will handle the rest. He gets them set up, however, he snips the connectors off the cables leading to all rooms without cable boxes, without me knowing. I don't know if he was a jerk, idiot, or just following company policy. Not a major hassle to breakout my own compression connectors, but still a douche bag move.

[citation][nom]xgecko[/nom]I have to say that my experience has been quite different. Here in the Seattle-Tacoma area Comcast is actually quite good. The service is superb, the broadband speeds are excellent, and the techs are knowledgable. Prices could be lower but are still a decent value given what we get and compared to any other option we have here.That said, my brother in Charlottesville has lousy service and unreliable TV and broadband, and our office in Jupiter Florida cannot get Comcast Broadband in an industrial park right next to the highway. The Comcast feed stops about 300' from the park.I have much the same experience with Verizon; they take care of me quite well even though I hear other people say they are horrible.[/citation]

You should check Comcasts agreement with your town. My father had a similar situation several years ago. But the agreement with the town is if 8 households existed within a mile stretch of road they have to provide service. He measured and found his road met this condition so they had to run lines to his place.

As for my own experience. I have found my cable service to be better than with other providers (Cox and AT&T cable).

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
comcast lol. here's my stories. I pay for 16Mbit and get 6Mbit (might as well be on AT&T DSL). I was paying a lot for cable TV and complained and they had some psychologist on the phone explain to me why I have tv. I dropped cable tv a couple months later. Their VOIP is staticy and by far worse than a land line (who on here says we don't need land lines? hello? they are better than VOIP crap). They cap you to 250GB of downloads and ban you if you go over it but they let you back on the very next time you call in if you switch plans.

Comcast is not as bad as @home though. @home was a cesspool of hacked consumer PCs and a large network of file shares. At least comcast has very little of these problems. But then again, @home didn't cap me below 10Mbit for quite a while when the service was new and also @home never had a silly little 250GB cap.

Oh and lastly, thanks Comcast for that sh!tty malware called "McAfee Security Suite". That was beyond brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.