Comments on Safeware Insurance?

G

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Anyone insured their laptop through Safeware and have experience good or bad
with a claim? I am evaluating whether or not to go ahead and insure a
laptop used for a small business with moderate amount of traveling, and
working out of 3 offices.
Thanks
Mike

G

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Anyone insured their laptop through Safeware and have experience good or bad
> with a claim? I am evaluating whether or not to go ahead and insure a

I first heard of Safeware in about 1995 (?) on a Mac PowerBook list I
used to read. Nothing but good experiences there. If I had a valuable
laptop instead of a throwaway, I'd use them.

For me, the best insurance is having a low-value laptop. I would be
annoyed if my laptop were stolen or broken, but I wouldn't be
seriously inconvenienced. One evening's bidding on eBay, and $200-$300
would replace it.

Anonymous11_74

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Whatever you do, DO NOT purchase their laptop insurance. After a couple of years, my laptop started to give out, as they are prone to do with heavy use. I sent the machine in to Safeware, per my insurance policy, not ONE, not TWO, but THREE times, and they STILL were not able to fix the issue. Then, when they offered to reimburse me the cost of my unit, they denied me at the last minute because the computer was not in perfect shape-- even though they had seen it 3 times already at that point. This company clearly has NO customer service, and are a complete WASTE in repairing your computer. If you check the Better Business Bureau website, you can see the MANY complaints lodged against them. PLEASE don't make the same mistake I made-- Stay away from Safeware!

Crazy_67

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
It seems like there might be up to (3) employees:
(1-2) Sales associate
(1) Adjuster

They will not reimburse for a diagnostic fee which most local PC repair centers charge. To avoid the charge, you have to send it to them for evaluation/repair. Based on my negative local repair experience, I'd say it's best to send it to SafeWare to avoid "uncovered" fees.

If SafeWare does have your laptop repair and the machine continues to malfunction, they will continue repairing which is good however, that could be about $xxx.xx later and if they do have to pay out, they will deduct the repair charges, from your check. >>> Beware <<<

When SafeWare do have to pay out a claim, they drag their feet to cut a check however, stay on them and they will pay out.