Community

NancyW

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I am currently in a transitional house with 9 other women. I am interested in trying to find a laptop that has Windows Wod, Excel, etc... and wireless internet capability. I was beaten and raped and am trying to rebuild my life along with other women who are here for various reasons.

My goal is to teach many of the women computer skills as there are several who have never used a computer much less the internet. This would enable us to have access to employment, housing and other educational avenues. I really believe in this program and this is something I wish to do to contribute to the women here to help them succeed.

Please - I don't care if it is used, rebuildt as long as it has a windows operating system and internet ability.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP - any personal or organizations that could help with charity. I cannot purchase this....

Thanks for your help...

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
There are a lot of organizations out there that provide refurbished computers and laptops free of charge or low cost to schools and other non-profit organizations. I used to work for one. What area are you in? There might be one local to you.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
this is just the reality, charities are going to sell them for necessities. Going through a direct organization like the ywcas women's shelter you might be able to reach out to an actual company to provide equipment as a tax deduction, but then the YWCA and other charities, as well as public libraries/work one etc ALREADY provide computer classes and training. they use the computers they.have for established programs. they don't hand them out because they can help more people through their programs and there are already tons of options.

NancyW

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

Thank you so much for your response. I am in the Old Town, Alexandria, VA area... Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I don't know any organizations near your area off by heart, but if you only need one laptop, you can get one from recycling centres like Staples. I got a friend that works at Staples, and they can give hardware to people that can use them instead of recycling. If you visit your local Staples, they might have one on hand, or you can ask them to save one for you.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Nancy, I love what you are doing. This is why for the past three years, I have taken old computers for recycling, refurbished them, and donated them directly to persons in need of a computer. Sadly, I do not have any laptops in my possession, but good luck and I'll keep an eye out for one that I might be able to snag for you.