Comodo's latest free AV/Firewall drives CPU to 100%

treefrog07

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Problems with the 3/24 release of the free Comodo Anti-Virus and Firewall.

I was using the x64-compatible version on WinXPx64sp2.
-- It has a bug that
-- Causes 100% CPU utilization after it loads on Start-up. This slows everything else (processes and programs) and drove my CPU temp from the normal 35C to 52-57C.
-- Comodo's processes in Task Manager are:
....-- cfp.exe and
....--cmdagent, neither could be stopped or ended in task manager.
-- The tray applet will not allow user to Exit Comodo (an option in right-click).
-- Comodo cannot be uninstalled in normal or safe mode using the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

My solution was to install the trial version of Tune-Up Utilities and disable Comodo's startup in the TU shell>Increase performance>TuneUp StartUp Manager.

After re-start I was able to uninstall Comodo using Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs.

This is really a shame. I had been using Comodo for two years and was quite satisfied with its performance, learning mode, and threatcast community advice on allowing/disallowing programs' internet access.

Comodo's earlier version is still behaving normally WinXPx64sp3

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
You have something else, or it could be Comodo was hitting a lot of attackers. I use Comodo Firewall and never have that problem. Anyway, their A-V isn't the best, so test your computer for malware, using MBAM and SAS, then reinstall just the firewall and get Avast or Avira for the A-V.

treefrog07

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks area51. I'm using PC Tools for the firewall and AVG 8.5. I klnow 9.0 is out, but I can shut 8.5 down. I don't game on line, so I just shut the modem down and turn-off av and firewalls.

graywolf - There was nothing else running, and after I shut comodo down, my cpu usage went back to normal. It only happened with the latest free version (with the red skin), that's why I posted - in case someone else had it happen to them. OK, most people just post, instead if searching THFs for an already-solved problem.

I've been using comcodo for a long time, and I liked it.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I guess it just doesn't play well with something you have. :cry: Many companies play around with software that ain't broke until they break it. Ditto AVG, which has become so bloated.

BTW-not being able to shut off Comodo temporarily is normal. They did that for protection. It has to be stopped in Services.

treefrog07

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
It looks like THF remembers the original thread-starter and puts a box, labeled "Select as the Best Answer" above the box for each respondent post. I never asked a question, even with this thread - was just trying to allow easier search of the thread for comodo issues.

TRENDING THREADS