Compaq 2190s no longer recognizing PCMCIA cards

mattdaddyld

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
I've had an ongoing issue since last week. I use a D-Link DWL-G630 in my Compaq 2190us for wireless connectivity. Starting a few months ago and up until recently, the card would not be recognized until inserted, removed, and reinserted. The second time always worked. An additional problem was that the card would no longer work when left in while the laptop went into hibernation. This problem was worked around by removing the card prior to hibernating.

However, last week the computer no longer recognizes any card at all. One thing I tried which led to it recognizing the card was to uninstall the PCMCIA adaptor in device manager and restart with the card in the slot. The first time I tried this the laptop installed the adapter and then prompted me to install the already installed wireless card, Labeling it D-Link DWL-G630 #2.

This continued to work for a couple days until the card was no longer recognized. I repeated the process and it worked a final time, again prompting for reinstallation of the card's drivers labeling it #3 this time. The card functioned properly until I powered the machine down. Upon turning it back on a few hours later the card has not worked and I cannot repeat the process.

I have tried other PCMCIA cards in the slot, so it is not the card. And the card functions properly in my other laptop.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks

Matt

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
So it's the slot, then?