Computer Audio Subwoofers Amp

juanthebeast15

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
I recently purchased 2 subwoofers and a 1500W amp. I would like to hook these up to my computer. I currently have no power for the amp, and could i run power from my computer to it? or would i need an alternative power source? If so, what could i use for a power source?

Solution
Right, that makes more sense.

You'll need a dedicated 12v Power Supply, but for that amount of power there is no way you'll be wanting to use your computers PSU for that.

Running a 1500w amp will be hard though, you would be spending crazy amounts of money on a power supply for that. I would recommend getting an old car battery and charger and wiring that up as an intermediate current dump, that would be the cheapest option.

If you've not comfortable with electronics though I wouldn't recommend this, perhaps look into getting a proper mains supply (120v/240v) amp to hook the subs up to instead.

juanthebeast15

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

okay what would i use this for

sajitha wewegama

Estimable
May 6, 2014

yes exactly

sajitha wewegama

Estimable
May 6, 2014

To connect your electrical appliance to it

juanthebeast15

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

yes, but my amp doesnt have any wires to connect it too...i dont know if you understand that im curious is my amp will be okay to run off my computer and if so, how? and if it cant, whawt can i power it with?

Necr0v

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Right, that makes more sense.

You'll need a dedicated 12v Power Supply, but for that amount of power there is no way you'll be wanting to use your computers PSU for that.

Running a 1500w amp will be hard though, you would be spending crazy amounts of money on a power supply for that. I would recommend getting an old car battery and charger and wiring that up as an intermediate current dump, that would be the cheapest option.

If you've not comfortable with electronics though I wouldn't recommend this, perhaps look into getting a proper mains supply (120v/240v) amp to hook the subs up to instead.

Solution