Computer freezes during Youtube videos?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abigepicfail

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I built my PC about 4 months ago. It has run smoothly but lately (within the last 2 weeks) whenever I watch youtube videos the computer completely locks up. The screen freezes, mouse doesn't move, keyboard does nothing. After letting the computer sit like this for a couple of minutes it will come back and run normally, no errors or anything. I have left task manager open during these freezes and found that the cpu usage spikes to 100 on all cores while the memory stays the same. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Catalyst and Flash Player and used different versions but they all have the same results. I have tested the cpu using prime95 and the ram with memtest. The both checked out ok. I think this problem is software related. Any help is appreciated.

Specs:
AMD FX-6200 six core processor 3.8GHz
16GB G.Skill sniper ram 1600mhz
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 motherboard
1tb Seagate barracuda HDD
Rosewill pci wireless card
Rosewill Green series 630 watt psu
Radeon HD 7850 2gb
Windows 7 64bit

Drange01

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015

Had same problem, using opera versions 30.0.1835.125 to 31.0.1889.9
Degraded to 29.0.1795.60 I knew was stable, and the problem was gone.
My computer still freezes if I try to run fullscreen in Firefox,Chrome,Explorer, but I guess there are stable versions of those browsers too.

Try version 29.0.1795.60 from ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/
and add the commandline --disable-update ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe" --disable-update) to prevent it autoinstalling an unstable version.

Kimmichi

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
Ended up updating my Atheros wireless driver (from their website, couldn't find the newest version automatically) and it appears to have worked. Thanks for the tip all

Anonymous_2

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015

I confirm crashes with all the browsers except Opera. My pci-e wifi card is tp-link n900.

joggersguy

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
Hi, I have been searching the internet looking for the same answers. My laptop has been freezing on Ebay, Twitter, Facebook etc.. It started towards the end of August 2015. Different people giving advice to this and that. Last night I read an article, which I thought I would give it a try. I downloaded a free registry cleaner. It went through a full scan. It found loads to be fixed or deleted. With another program advanced system care, it deleted loads of crap. Since last night, my laptop has gone back to normal. The first time in two months! No problems so far. Been on the internet for hours now without any freezing on any sites. Give it a go.

Jorge7

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
I have a laptop with the same problem, it works with vista. I changed the HD (the old one had not enough space) and installed from zero all programs including Windows. The problem continues, but above all when I'm in a web page which uses Flash Player. I also opened the computer and check the heat sink (I replaced the silicon grease) and clean everything to discard hardware problems. The freezing it's happening since a month ago or more.

I put the HDD in other machine (similar) to discard a hardware failure and the problem continues so it's a software issue. Related with some windows update file or to flash player.

Well after trying many things in my PC I unistalled the antivirus which was Avast and there is no more freezing problems. I installed AVG antivirus and the computer goes well since 5 days ago. Probably this is a solution for my hardware and software configuration. My PC is an HP DV6235CA with Windows Vista Home Premium OS.

RamScam

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016

I found a solution for my old (6yrs) Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5505. I uninstalled Flash and Shockwave, left them off. Uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and then found the problem solved. Windows 10 home/pro. 4GB RAM Core 2 duo chip, Intel graphics. Really old systems that were stumbling along, now much more stable without flash and shockwave. YouTube now works fine on Firefox and Edge. I did the other steps such as disable hardware acceleration before and without success. This fix means I can continue to use these old machines and save dropping £800 on a new machine. How long it will work I don't know, but it will do for now. Thanks to everyone who helped me get there.

Does this mean YouTube on Firefox doesn't need Shockwave or Flash? Hopefully this removes potential security weaknesses.

techliner09

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

Had the same problem - problem solved - thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS