Computer having problem with Internet Borwser and other programs

stiner282

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
So this will be slightly long winded but here are the specs for my computer that I built two years ago:
MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3
Processor: Intel i7 sandy bridge
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card: Radeon HD 6950
Boot Drive: Kingston 120 GB SSD
HDD Storage: WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB

Installed Programs:
Windows 8 64 bit
Microsoft Office 2013
Logitech Gaming Software (Keyboard)
Razer core and Synapse (Mouse)
Steam & Origin
AMD Catalyst Control Center & game center

Ok so here's my problem; about two months ago my computer started slowing down. Programs wouldn't run right, it was massively slow and unresponsive and while my internet worked my browsers were slowed down considerably (and Java found every excuse to crash it could). So finally I did a hard ware checker and was looking around when I saw my problem. My hard drive was being taxed to maximum capacity when it was asking to read or write .1mb of data a second. I ran a couple tests and found some cyclic errors and it failed every test I ran on it. "Eureka" I thought, I called western digital and found out that my warranty was still in effect. I got a brand new one and a SSD for the fun of it. I installed windows 8 to the solid state and kept the HDD as a storage device. After a clean boot things seemed to be ok but then out of no where the browser problem came back. My browser is slow (doesn't matter which one I use mozilla, chrome or internet explorer) but pages fail to load my connection is slow and a lot of things (like Pandora) fail to load and crash. Heres the kicker, I got 7.8 mb per sec on steam downloading a game and my download speeds are fine. Ive checked the Ethernet cable and tried another one but the problem persists. Strangely enough on Wifi the browser loads slightly faster but its still not as fast as it should be and websites will still crash periodically. Normally I would put this off as a shitty internet connection but everyone else who's plugged into this dorm (college) is way faster than this. Its not the internet, just the way my computer is trying to communicate with them.

If you have any suggestions or questions I would be happy to hear them. Thanks!!

rstoledo

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Did you format your HDD/SDD along with the upgrade ? What kind of upgrade have you done ?

Update:

Ok, after reading your update: Did you install everything fresh new on the SSD ? At least the base programs and the OS ? Or did you just "cloned" the OS partition from your HDD ?

When I bought my SSD, I had to fully format my HDD to get the best performance out of it, I had it split into 2 partitions, and had Win 8 updated from 7. On the SSD, I was able to make it a clean install, and then when formatting the HDD I i did not got any more problems with it.

Hope it solves out.

stiner282

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Yea I formatted them and they were both brand new. I partitioned them seperatly and then did a clean install of Win 8 on the SSD with the HDD not plugged in. All of the ports are in ACHI, is that a problem for the HDD?

progmistro

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
what anti virus are you using? if something like avast then its an avast problem and i can help, if anything install ccleaner (its free) and clean up your registry and browser settings (e.g. cookies,history, etc.) ccleaner is relatively easy to use, and judging from the description your giving its a program slowing down your internet, type cmd in start and ping google.com and see what your ping is ms=XXX. X=ping. also search for conduit in your programs, google "how to completely remove conduit" if you have it other than that install malware