Computer keeps freezing for unknown reason

computer1337

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hello guys, I have been strugling with this problem for about 6 months now and I really cant stand this anymore. My pc freezes at random times, may it be when i turn on my pc or maybe when its idle or when im on it, my point is it is random. So I had a computer guy come over and check it for me. After 2 hours of checking all the hardware he said nothing is wrong with the hardware, and so he proceeded to blaming it on the software. Now this is where things get tricky, he told me that it was my out of date bios drivers. So we updated that and well the problem was gone for the day, or was I lucky. But it still is a problem I encounter daily. Please people help me because I am hopeless at the moment :/ Anything I can install to check for crash reports? Basically the freezing is like this that mostly everything stops working, I can move my mouse around for most of the time but everything is frozen, music pauses and plays randomly and well it unfreezes after 10 or so seconds and keeps doing this for about 2 minutes at random times and then everything comes back to normal. I got a asus z87-c motherboard, 8gb ram, geforce gtx 760 windforce and a power supply of 1000Watts.

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

Could you be so kind to update additional information like Operating System, Type (x32 or x64) (Start/My Computer (right click on it and click Properties), now a windows will open with all the information you need, look if a Service Pack is installed), all the hardware information?
Did it happen after an upgrade or Service Pack installation?
Did you create an Restore Point and/or System Backup before that time?
Did you create a Windows Recovery/Rescue Disk?
Do you have the original installation disk?
Is there an error message?
Does it happen in Save Mode (press f8 or so to get the extended boot mode) too?

Software to view the issues?

Blue Screen Viewer might help.

https://www.google.nl/#q=Blue+Screen+Viewer+download&spell=1

Did you try the next:

Start the Command Prompt ellevated (Start/All Programs/Bureau_Accessoires/Right click on Command Prompt and click 'Open with Administrator Rights/Open as Administrator'), then copy the next and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

When the program has being done, copy the next line and press Enter:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

When I'm not misstaken, the log file will be copied to the desktop. Here you can open it and see what happened.

To view these files, you could also use Blue Screen Viewer. You can search on the net for answers and you might be able to find out which driver it could be that's creating the issues.

You could do too:

Conducting a CHKDSK can take some time, especially if using the /R parameter, which causes CHKDSK to attempt to recover data, and the results are often not visible, for various reasons. The results of a CHKDSK conducted on restart using Windows 2000 or later operating systems are written to the Application Log, with a "Source" name of Wininit or Winlogon, except on some instances of the Windows 7 operating system, where the events may have a "Source" name of "Chkdsk".

The standard version of CHKDSK supports the following switches:

filename FAT only. Specifies the file or set of files to check for fragmentation. Wildcard characters (* and ?) are allowed.
path FAT only. Specifies the location of a file or set of files within the folder structure of the volume.
size NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. Must be used with the /l switch.
volume FAT and NTFS (NTFS support is unofficial, but it works normally). Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
/c NTFS only. Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.
/f Fixes errors on the volume. The volume must be locked. If CHKDSK cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer starts.
/i NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
/l[:size] NTFS only. Displays current size of the log file. If size is specified, changes the log file to that size (in kilobytes).
/p Checks disk even if it is not flagged as "dirty" (only available in the Recovery Console).
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /f and /p). Unreadable data is lost. If CHKDSK cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer starts.
/v On FAT: Displays the full path and name of every file on the volume. On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages, if any.
/x NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All opened handles to the volume are then invalid (implies /f).
/b NTFS only, since Windows Vista. Clears the list of bad clusters on the volume and rescans all clusters for errors (implies /r).
/? Displays the list of available CHKDSK parameters.

When running CHKDSK from the Recovery Console the options are different. The /p is not read-only as in the standard version but corrects errors :[2]

/p Fixes errors on the volume. Same as the /f option in standard CHKDSK.
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /f and /p). Takes much longer to run than /p by itself.

CHKDSK requires the drive not to be locked. Therefore, after a command prompt with the syntax
chkdsk [volume]: /[switch] /[switch] ... /[switch]
if the drive cannot be locked, CHKDSK prints:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked
the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

If "y" is selected, CHKDSK will run on restart. If it does so, it prints that a disk check has been scheduled, i.e.

What did all the tests say?

Hopefully I let you known enough, that you will find the answers you seek! :)

Good luck & have fun doing it! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte