Computer monitor is making a static hissing noise

Judas2021

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Recently for reasons unknown my monitor has started making a static/white noise with occasional outbursts of ear splitting crackling. Interestingly enough, the monitor is silent when not connected to the computer and even during startup until the Windows 8 login page appears. I have attached a video to illustrate this. (Notice that there is no static or noise until the moment the login appears. That's when you'll hear the outburst.)

The static sound is also registered in my volume control area. Whenever it makes a noise, the green bar jumps a little bit. When I'm not doing anything at the computer, it makes small little static "ticks" that last half a second. However, when I am doing things like opening a file, or loading a webpage, it seems more prone to these really violent outburst of crackling static.

I've tried switching out the HDMI and no luck there. I also thought it might be that my volume control is too high but I have always kept my monitor volume set to about 30/100 and controlled the volume with the windows volume controller.

Video of static:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYT30QEy5x0&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

Judas2021

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Are those components within the monitor?

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
it may not always cause fires. depends on the situation, but IF the variables are perfect yet it can start a fire IF it is that issue. For all we know it could just be white noise coming out of his speakers.

And yes they are all in the monitor. Capacitors can be easy to replace if you know how to look for bad one and have some soldiering skills.

Coil whine though is something you just have to deal with. If you do a google search of coil whine you will see why it does what it does.

Also your video is set to private on youtube so can't really hear it anyways lol fix that and let us know it is fixed so we can hear it.

Judas2021

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Sorry it's set to public now. Let me know what you think the noise is.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Ok that is NOT coil whine or a bad capacitor. To me that sounds kinda scary haha I have have to agree with Hang-the-9 on this one. Coil whine and Bad Capacitors

This is Coil Whine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI

a bad Capacitor can make a similar sound as well but usually on monitors when capacitors go bad on a monitor sometimes it will work fine when you turn it on, then the back light goes out on it and you can hardly see anything.

now does this make the sound ONLY at that point or though out its use?

And can you determine if it really coming for the speakers maybe or from inside the monitor? Again maybe use a DVI/VGA cable so there is no sound transmitted over the HDMI and to the speakers

Judas2021

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

It makes these noises throughout the use. like I mentioned earlier, it's weird because the more I'm doing on the computer the more it seems to screech and crackle. If I unplug the HDMI, the monitor is silent. If I turn down the windows volume control to 0, there is no sound. Complete silence. Also weird is how it seems to register these screeches as actual sound on the volume control. I wish I could show you the screenshot. When it makes the screech, the little green bar on the volume slider jumps up according to the intensity of the screech. Is it getting input from somewhere?

Also this is a TV (fairly new) really so it has no VGI input.

Hang if you're still around, you think this thing is dead already? I bought it in 2013.

If the sound only comes form the speakers, that is not that bad. In the cases I worked on the sound was coming from the power supply. I have a video of a nice higher end monitor we had on a radiology computer system that is shooting smoke and stink in our office on my phone from several years ago, it was making crackling sounds also. But not from the speakers, you can hear it from the case.

If it's only from the speakers, you don't really have to worry about things past the issue you have. How do you know the monitor is causing the issue and not something else like a sound/video card? If you have speakers on the monitor, of course the sound will come from there since that is where the speakers are right? Or did you already test things with another monitor and other speakers?

To make you feel better about things, here are some really bad but funny examples of smoking computers http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_smoke.shtml

Judas2021

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
So new developments.

I tested some things just now and I want to relay what I found to you guys. The first is that the static is not present at all times when the monitor is producing sound. It makes a chime when it is turned on with no static or crackling. I have a PS2 plugged into it with A/V Cables and that starts up with no static or crackling in the audio. The ONLY time it makes these noises is with the HDMI input to my PC AND with the volume control turned up. It also registers these static blips with that little green bar on the volume slider. Again, with the volume turned down it is silent.

I also plugged the HDMI from the monitor into my laptop. No static. Since the HDMI is plugged into my GPU, I can only assume the problem is there. I don't know what exactly it could be but I'm thinking of turning the computer off, disconnecting power, removing the GTX 660, and re-attaching it. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, here is another video of the occurrence in question. I'm starting to believe it's not the monitor speakers at all. Something is being output from the computer to my monitor as a sound.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAv-EFxNpOc&feature=youtu.be"][/video]