Computer screen is black but power lights are on

GlitchInTheDark

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-30
And occasionally I'll close it, the screen will turn black but the power lights won't turn off and the backlight is on.
I can't get it to respond unless I turn the laptop off and restart. It's done this a couple times before. Any help?

Well, first I would try turning off the laptop, connect an external monitor, turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. If you can see everything fine on the external monitor, then the problem is with the connected display or its connection to the laptop.

If you feel comfortable opening it up and doing the work yourself, I would look at the ribbon cable that connects the display. If that is pinched, ben, loose, twisted, damaged, disconnected, etc., then it would cause this problem. If there is no damage to that, then the display is probably going to need to be replaced.

If you can't see anything on the external display either, then the graphics card is probably done for and needs to be replaced.

Well, first I would try turning off the laptop, connect an external monitor, turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. If you can see everything fine on the external monitor, then the problem is with the connected display or its connection to the laptop.

If you feel comfortable opening it up and doing the work yourself, I would look at the ribbon cable that connects the display. If that is pinched, ben, loose, twisted, damaged, disconnected, etc., then it would cause this problem. If there is no damage to that, then the display is probably going to need to be replaced.

If you can't see anything on the external display either, then the graphics card is probably done for and needs to be replaced.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 2
N Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
Z Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1