Computer speaker. How to choose?

Mary_24

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Hi, guys!
I can't live without music and I want to buy a powerful computer speaker. Can anyone help me to choose a computer speaker? My budget is about 160$. I read a nice review, but I'm not sure which to choose. I like Logitech Z906 Surround Sound PC Speaker System but it's very expensive for me:( What can you say about Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Multimedia Speaker System with Sub? What computer speaker can you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated!

Solution
if you have a budget like that... you may want to look into hifi speakers.

self powered speakers like micca pb42x, mackie cr3 or cr4, m-audio av-30 or av-40, swan m10
passive speakers like micca mb42x, pioneer bs22, or others paired up with an amplifier

with that said, as far as pc speakers go, both the z906 and soundsticks arent bad. generally hifi speakers sound better than pc speakers but the pc speakers you listed arent bad by any stretch of the word.

the z906 like most logitech products tends to be a bit boomy on bass. not tight and punchy but boomy. treble and mids tend to be okay but not very bright nor heavily detailed. a good all around system though for just a bit more you could get the monoprice 10565 or energy 5.1 take...
if you have a budget like that... you may want to look into hifi speakers.

self powered speakers like micca pb42x, mackie cr3 or cr4, m-audio av-30 or av-40, swan m10
passive speakers like micca mb42x, pioneer bs22, or others paired up with an amplifier

with that said, as far as pc speakers go, both the z906 and soundsticks arent bad. generally hifi speakers sound better than pc speakers but the pc speakers you listed arent bad by any stretch of the word.

the z906 like most logitech products tends to be a bit boomy on bass. not tight and punchy but boomy. treble and mids tend to be okay but not very bright nor heavily detailed. a good all around system though for just a bit more you could get the monoprice 10565 or energy 5.1 take system and get a cheap receiver to power them which is better.

the soundsticks iii are also heavily respected just as the creature iii. for pc speakers they are on the upper end of sound quality.

if you did not need bass, the t40 also has good sound quality.

personally i'd suggest really looking into something other than pc speakers, but its your choice.

i'm personally using a home theater 5.1 setup (klipsch quintet iv, 450w klipsch sub and a recevier). in the other room i have a dta-120 amp hooked up to some harman kardon thirty bookshelf speakers and in the last room i have some sony floorstanders hooked up to a receiver. any of them easily beats the pc speakers i've heard (to my ears) although i did use pc speakers for years and they are certainly usable (but once you experience higher quality audio its hard to go back)

Solution