Computer wont recognize gaming headset

May 27, 2018
Hi,

i have a dell inspiron 15 7567 gaming laptop, and just got the sennhesier gsp 302 gaming headset. when i plug in the headset, my computer wont detect the microphone, but still plays sound through the headphones. i have it plugged into the 3.5mm jack, and theres a mic and headphone cable running from the headset into the one jack. one usb port is be used by a mouse, with two more usb ports available. please help!

Solution
You can try steps I am including below, however if it doesn't work, it sounds to me like your 3.5mm port is not accepting the headset. It is possible that it is actually output only and not input/output. Also, it is possible that it is input/output, but doesn't work as it should (seriously common sadly). Also, I have found that a lot of dual jack headsets don't function correctly when put into a singular 3.5mm port. Even if an adapter is used. Sadly the best and simplest fix is to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect that way. It should then work just fine. They don't have the input/output issue like the others do.

If your microphone isn't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Click the...
You can try steps I am including below, however if it doesn't work, it sounds to me like your 3.5mm port is not accepting the headset. It is possible that it is actually output only and not input/output. Also, it is possible that it is input/output, but doesn't work as it should (seriously common sadly). Also, I have found that a lot of dual jack headsets don't function correctly when put into a singular 3.5mm port. Even if an adapter is used. Sadly the best and simplest fix is to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect that way. It should then work just fine. They don't have the input/output issue like the others do.

If your microphone isn't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Click the "Recording" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

Solution