Conecting Multiple Devices to my PC speakers

tibbs20

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm going to spash out on a new big 22" HDMI monitor, and my plan is to make it my TV, PC, PS3 screen. I would like to do the same with my audo, so I'm going to need some kind of hub, to connect them all into the speakers, maybe my stereo too, but I can't find anything of the kind anywhere.

Can anyone help. Many Thanks

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

TV - means you'll need TV Card on your PC.
PS3 - means your Audio can accept HDMI or any digital connection.

Logitech Z5500 is the best tool for this due to its multi input capability, Look for a Soundcard that has similar features as the Realtek Drivers use as well as it can output digital and analog at the same time.

tibbs20

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm going to get TV using on of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geniatech-Mini-Freeview-Receiver-Monitors/dp/B000T67U6M/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210727102&sr=1-21

I can't believe freeview boxes with VGA out aren't more widely available. Using this, it means I don't have to have my PC on with the fans blowing, which is what put me off just getting a TV card. So I'll have this, and the PC, and PS3 to plug in to the same set of speakers.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Logitech Z5500 are more that I wanted to spend. I'm quite happy with a set of 2.1s. I just want to avoid having three sets of speakers.

Is there anything similar, some cheaper speakers with multiple inputs? thanks

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I was going to suggest Receiver/Amplifier at first but the Z5500 is more on the budget side, but since the Z5500 is more than you’d want to spend. With the Geniatech MoniDTV is good enough to play stereo signal.

I'm not sure if there are other speakers set like the Z5500 on the budget so check other company in your region.

tibbs20

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm amazed there isn't a solution to this. Surely there are lots of people with a TV, Hifi, PC, PS3, who don't want to have 4 separate sets of speakers in a room. Is there not some kind of link up box that you can plug lots of inputs into and it knocks them down to one output. A year or two ago I made one myself with bits from maplin and lots of soldering. I used it tp play my stereo hifi left and right through my quadraphonic PC speakers, and also put my PC though it in quadraphony. I was complicated and I had to use a switch when changing between one and the other to stop it coming out in mono. I can't believe there isn't a proper one available.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Finding alternative equipment for your solution is a lot harder especially for a price you would want to spend.

Creative use to make a standalone receiver but I can’t remember what it's called. If you can find something similar it’d be interesting to know.

weprechaun

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
After I saw this post, I thought that I'd add my 2 cents. I, too, recently wanted to share my pc speakers with multiple devices. In my case, I'm trying to share a pc speaker set among 3 computers. So far, I've managed to do so by using the following:

1 audio/video selector switch (4 input /1 output) RCA connections cost: $20
4 3.5mm stereo male to RCA male Y-cable cost: $4/each $16 total

I did this because I didn't want to toss the KVM switch I just bought which si working well. Anyway, I got all of my parts via eBay. My total cost was $36. This configuration works fine but I think a little power is lost when more than 1 computer is running. I just wanted something that'd allow me to share 1 pc speaker set vs. 3 speaker sets on my desk.

Only other inexpensive option I could fathom would be to connect all of your devices to a stereo with multiple inputs (DVD, VCR, tape, phono). I could have done this too but that'd require buying speakers & a subwoofer. I hope this information was somewhat helpful.