Conexant High Definition Audio

mihusnoo

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hi everybody,

I've a packard Bell easynote SJ51 and turned to WIN XP 64 bit for better performance (indeed it is better tahn vista!) unfortunately I cannot find a driver for my usb audio device which is a
Conexant High Definition Audio. I can only find the driver for VISTA OS, which isn't working for XP64 bits.

By the same time, I have a driver missing for my webcam, which is a bison cam.

Hope somebody out there can help me, I feel desperate and don't even want to think going back to vista!!

Thanks beforehand for your supports.

Iqbal

missgothika

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
hi mihusnoo, i know it's been months since you wrote this post.. but i was wondering if you managed to solve this problem.. cos i'm having sort of the same one.

NPS

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Never tried 64-bit XP but the following should give you a clue:

For 32-bit XP on the Packard Bell Easynote SJ51-B-007, I've been using the Conexant Venice 5045 driver with no problems for 3 years.

I found an installer package somewhere [conexant_hd_audio_33400.exe]. It's a Packard Bell driver for another machine, probably still available on their website. However, any other Conexant Venice driver you can find should work just as well.

You have to extract the contents somewhere (it won't work if you run the .exe) and choose the driver manually ('have disk' etc., then insist on the driver [PBxVen5a.inf] despite XP's protests). It shows up as "Conexant High Definition Audio-Venice 5045" in device manager.

It won't notice the optical capabilities of the dual jack but at least you get analogue sound under XP. I also use this XP driver for Server 2003 - works fine.

You will need to upgrade from XP SP2 to SP3 first, or install the Update for HD Sound [kb888111xpsp2.exe], so Windows can see the Southbridge. For Server 2003, install: [kb888111srvrtm.exe]

Search t'internet for 64-bit XP drivers for the Conexant Venice soundchip and install as above (Windows won't match it to the device) and you should have a result.

Maybe Conexant have specific drivers for custom laptop cards with the venice-type chip now, but I doubt it - they only supply the chips. It's Packard Bell who've let us down, helping Microsoft tie specific machines to a particular operating system.

All the best,

NPS

PS: XP SP2 can operate the webcam on it's own, but the 32-bit Vista driver originally supplied installs fine on 32-bit XP. Some Bison webcam drivers for Acer computers might also work.