Configuration mismatch over Lenovo Y510P laptop

Patr_dio

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Hi,

I've purchased a Lenovo Y510P (59370011) from the Lenovo Canada website on black Friday 2013. When I received the computer I noticed the configuration was different than what I had ordered on the Lenovo website.

The graphics card I was supposed to have in my laptop were dual Nvidia 755M. Instead I had a dual Nvidia 750M. I contacted the customer support over the phone and with a link to the Lenovo website, I was able to demonstrate the model I had purchased should have had dual Nvidia 755M video cards. The support agent confirmed the problem and agreed to send me a replacement model.

I have just received the new computer and removed the graphics card to notice it identified as Nvidia 755M. To confirm this once again, I looked at what drivers I had in windows and to my surprise, I was running on dual Nvidia 750M graphics. I was not convinced yet, so I checked the graphic card clock speeds and memory bandwidth only to confirm that I am running dual Nvidia 750M graphics. This means that I received a replacement computer with a graphics card identified as Nvidia 755M but in reality it is an Nvidia 750M.

I find this really frustrating because my purchase does reflect what I received. In addition, to resolve the issue, Lenovo sent me what seems as a falsely advertised replacement. The difference between the Nvidia 750M and 755M does not really matter to me but I expected more from Lenovo than this.

To top it off, the link I used to confirm my model number/configuration mismatch has been conveniently removed. My Lenovo receipt does not have any specifications listing but a model number. If the Lenovo Y510P (59370011) is searched on the web, it is listed as having dual Nvidia 750M graphics but when I purchase my computer it was listed as having dual Nvidia 755M on the Lenovo Canada website.

I don’t know what to do anymore; I don’t want to wait another month. I’m fed up. Now I have two Lenovo computers I should return and I just feel Lenovo is trying to drag this until I give up.

Let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks,

Patrick

Solution
"I have two computers but I don't want to be charged for a second one on my credit card in a month from now."

You have to watch out for that. If they are that stupid to let you be charged again then hammer them like the idiots they are. They deserve to get fired. I'm talking as an owner of a small company. Most (not all) owners want to know what is going on in their company. These people seem to be hiding something. There is no reason for them to send you another computer without making arrangements to take that one back. Just lay low and wait for them to make the next move. As far as I can tell, you have them in check mate. They sent you a new computer. You got a two for one deal.

If they are stupid enough to call or charge you...

voodooking

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
They screwed up. They changed the internet info after you, and probably others told them about it. They want you to keep both computers and go away before management finds out. They don't want to get in trouble over this. Keep both computers. Sell one if you want to. Just keep as much information that you can as possible about the entire situation, organize it and lock it away. Try to find the old cached advertisements with the 755m on them and save them.
This has happened to me before with other companies. You can't get in trouble and you have two computers now. I assume you used a credit card or paypal to purchase this right? If anyone ever calls about this then tell them you want an audit of the entire process. They will go away. my money is on that you never hear from them again.

chromenut

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

How did you check the clock speeds of your "GT755M"?

GPU-Z says that i have 980/1350 & 1020 boost clocks, but i have

1094/1350 when stress testing/gaming

edit : GT755M is just an overclocked GT750M

Patr_dio

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

I went to Nvidia control panel and on the bottom left corner click system information. You'll get all the details.

chromenut

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

It reads to me here, GT755M

driver vers : 332.21
direct....
direct..
Cuda cores 384
graphic clock 980 MHZ
memory data rate 5400 Mhz
Memory interface 128-bit
memory bandwith 86.40 gb/s
total available memory 4096MB
dedicated video memory 2048MB

What do you have there?

Patr_dio

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

Makes sense. I've been looking for another cached website containing the specifications I was supposed to receive but I can't find one. The link (below) I used with the Lenovo support agent does not work anymore. I have two computers but I don't want to be charged for a second one on my credit card in a month from now.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yuvewFWHhgkJ:shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:item.detail%3Fhide_menu_area%3Dtrue%26GroupID%3D458%26Code%3D59370011%26category_id%3D3B20BA877A2C60BD831C560F83B08DDE+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Patr_dio

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

I've got GT750M

driver vers : 311.54
direct....
direct..
Cuda cores 384
graphic clock 941 MHZ
memory data rate 5000 Mhz
Memory interface 128-bit
memory bandwith 80.00 gb/s
total available memory 4096MB
dedicated video memory 2048MB

voodooking

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
"I have two computers but I don't want to be charged for a second one on my credit card in a month from now."

You have to watch out for that. If they are that stupid to let you be charged again then hammer them like the idiots they are. They deserve to get fired. I'm talking as an owner of a small company. Most (not all) owners want to know what is going on in their company. These people seem to be hiding something. There is no reason for them to send you another computer without making arrangements to take that one back. Just lay low and wait for them to make the next move. As far as I can tell, you have them in check mate. They sent you a new computer. You got a two for one deal.

If they are stupid enough to call or charge you then you just go over their heads. Find out who the boss is and write that person a real letter. The boss always opens the real letter now-days because it's so rare. Tell them his staff forced two computers on you. You gave up trying to work with them. That's it. No more. Any question they ask, just say how? How do you want me to do it? What about my time? Why have you done all this too me. This is why no-one will call or charge you. No-one wants to deal with this stuff.

Solution