Confirmed: Verizon Heading into Tiered Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Move to T-Mobile, Clear Stream, or even MetroPCS (God help us).

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm on verizon. Shame on these idiots. I hear Sprint's network and service isn't that great, but at least they offer better prices, unlimited data, and they don't GIMP THEIR PHONES (i.e. tethering for their 4G Android phones). My droid is going to get traded in for an Epic 4G soon.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
My plans were already in motion before any of this but I'm switching (from verizon) to a prepaid dumbphone (commoncents) and when they finally release a good tablet picking one up. It may not be for everyone but I'm not a facebooking talkaholic and these data plans are just too expensive.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I purchased a Droid X a few weeks ago and have been very impressed with the phone and service as it is today. Hopefully they will not impose the new plans on existing customers, otherwise I'll regret being a Verizon customer.

G

I switched to virgin mobile with unlimited text and data for blackberry at 35 a month. It gives me time to see how these chips fall and stay off a contract. These big companies get you hooked then pull it away, upping the price if you go over your very limited amount. ATT towers are supplying service to Comcast's new data card that you can add to your current cable internet. So who is Verizon sharing their wireless data with? Service with vergin mobile has it's price of terible blackberry issues (they can't get text to work with receiving text from ATT and LG Rumor Touch MMS gets sent to the SMS folder of the blackberry so you can't view it and so on but I have unlimited data)

cag404

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Actually, when they change the plan rates like this, the consumer has a certain period of time (I think it is 30 or 60 days after the change) to cancel your service at no penalty. I will be considering this once they implement this change.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Cellphone companies (and by extension, most communication companies) are proving themselves up to be criminal organizations; even in as simply not notifying their customers when they come close to reaching their allocated monthly subscription, only to then roll out the additional fee once exceeded. Not to mention the "minute" allocation: a call of 1min1sec = 2minutes air-time... and with Verizon, it's "Send to end", meaning a ring-time of 45 seconds + 14 seconds of automated recording = a 1'01" call-time (2 minutes) - even if just to say "call me back".

Verizon has charged me $45 over the past two months because I came close to BUT DIDN'T ACTUALLY EXCEED my 450 minutes' "plan"... (437 + 445 respectively)
2 different supervisors have both said they can not identify where the "Overage" had occurred, however they said they can not remove the charges. And of course, should I choose to not pay their extortion fees, they'll be escallated to some collections agency whom would eventually issue a comment to my credit.

A "good" business model in their industry heavily obviously involves dishonesty.

G

2GB of data a month is still seriously lacking. If the numbers are right, then for your average commuter who might view a television show while traveling to/from work on the bus or train would go through that 2GB limit within two weeks if not sooner. On the one hand, the phone companies know they never build in the infrastructure to handle so much data, but on the other hand the streaming media companies are looking at loss of business because of the limitations being placed.

For me, it doesn't matter as I'm one of those historical throwbacks who use a cellphone as just a phone. No streaming media, no text messaging, no web browsing, just call someone when I feel like it. Radical idea, I know, but the cellphone companies lose enough on people like me that they have to make it up in other areas.

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I didn't expect Verizon to copy everything ATT do... This was their advantage over ATT. I had planned on getting off crappy ATT and move on over to Verizon. Looks like its either Sprint or T-Mobile for me... T_T

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]wribbs[/nom]My plans were already in motion before any of this but I'm switching (from verizon) to a prepaid dumbphone (commoncents) and when they finally release a good tablet picking one up. It may not be for everyone but I'm not a facebooking talkaholic and these data plans are just too expensive.[/citation]
I'm the same, I have the original enV on prepaid with Verizon, 15$ a month and I don't use all the time, no contract, perfect for me. I use a cell for emergencies mostly, I have a house phone and computers at home if I need to find people.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Me and the wife's contract is about up with t-mobile.We are looking at switching providers, but Verizon just took themselves out of consideration...thanks for narrowing the choices I guess??

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
So much for Verizon's LTE network, you'll get the speed, and use it up in a week or less. As we see more phones released with mini-hdmi and the ability to stream HD video, Verizon's going to find that this just isn't going to work. The world is moving toward bigger, faster ways to move multimedia and entertainment, and business practices like these are putting a huge road block on their development.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'm with sprint, I'll be staying a sprint customer as long as they don't pull anything like this but hopefully they never will. i am however pissed off at thier 4g 10 a month charge. i almos tupgraded my pre but 10 bucks a month for a service that won't be in my area in the forseeable future is just not somethign i'm willing to pay

Status
Not open for further replies.