Confusion and issue with ASUS gaming laptop - GL502VS (VSK?)

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hi,

I have purchased an ASUS GL502VS (VS is written behind the laptop) two months ago and starting off the second month, started facing very bad FPS drops (from 60 FPS all the way to 20 FPS) while playing games like Batman Arkham Knight and GTA V. This was never the case during the first month.
All my drivers are up to date. Even reinstalled my GFX driver by uninstalling it first using GURU 3D's tool and still it is the same.

Next step was to update my bios from ver 301 to 303. After updating my bios i noticed that update was for GL502VSK series and it is not listed under GL502VS. The latest GL502VS bios ver is 302.
I tried to install ver 302 a while ago and in bios, it says, this is not a valid bios file.

Now my question is, what is the difference between GL502VS and GL502VSK?
If my laptop is not VSK, why did it allow me to update the bios with VSK file?

How to address this FPS drops?

Specs:

RAM: 24GB
CPU: i7 7700HQ
GPU: GTX 1070

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

I got it from Asus website itself.

CPU is Kabylake for sure but what confuses me is the laptop model which is written on its back, there is no mention of VSK. it reads VS.
The reason I used 303 (For VSK) to update my bios was the same thought that it is Kabylake.

Now i cannot downgrade using the VS bios file.

I dunno if what i did will cause an issue or not.

its obvious u cant use a Vs bios since urs is a kabylake model.why do u need to do a downgrade anyway?

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Actually my concern is that i had updated it using a wrong bios file which can lead to potential issues in the near future.
However, this FPS drop issue is not fixed whatsoever

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Thanks for the hint.

My Windows 10 is Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483)

I dont get it... It was working all fine for 1 month and now this crazy drops :S

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Not in my control panel but in settings there is a gaming option and game mode is and was on from the beginning

gaming mode was not really suitable for ur laptop.only model that only have integrated graphics will benefit from gaming mode.have u tried turning it off?

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

I will turn it off and update you mate

thanks

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Ok, I turned it off and still the same.

I noticed sth, when the drops happen, my CPU speed drops from 3400 to 700!!! what in the ...?
temperature is around 60~65
Any idea?

do u still have the windows.old folder under your C drive?if u do revert back to previous windows 10 version.lots of complain that the recent update is slowing down pc/laptop.

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

No, I don't.

I also saw a Reddit post regarding this... Apparently it is an issue with Nvidia and Microsoft :S

vflow

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Most likely you have the vsk model since your processor is Kabylake. From what I know another difference between VS and VSK model is the screen refresh rate. On VS models is 60Hz while on VSK model is 120Hz.
Also I believe the low fps issue is not related to bios but to Nvidia drivers. I would recommend to flash all vga drivers and install a version which is proved to run ok. Check the forums. It is not the best idea to update Nvidia drivers as they appear on GeForce Experience. Wait for a week or two before updating.

up-snake

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

This is going to add up to the confusion :D
I indeed have Kabylake processor but the refresh rate is locked at 60 Hz.
I stick to the drivers ASUS releases for my GFX card. Which at the moment it is, 382.53.