connect DVD Recorder to Hopper 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

slanoue

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
I just got the new Hopper 3 from DISH and love it. The main Hopper receiver is in the bedroom and the "Joey" is in the living room. I have 2 combo VCR/DVD Recorders. The one in the living room hooks up fine with the rca a/v cables. However, when I hook it up to the main Hopper in the bedroom, it doesn't work. No picture, no sound. The TV is definitely seeing the DVD Recorder, but the signal from the Hopper is not going to the DVD Recorder at all. I do have it hooked up correctly from the OUT to the IN. I think when I had the older DISH 722, I hooked it up either via coaxial cable or S Video. The new hopper has only one HDMI output and no S Video, and the coaxial cable is somehow different than the one on my DVD Recorder. It won't fit at all. I've tried everything I can think of! FYI I can see the DISH programming on the TV just fine if I put the source as HDMI 1 (where the DISH is connected to the TV) but not when I switch it over to HDMI 2 where the DVD Recorder is hooked up. Is it just impossible to hook up a DVD Recorder or VCR to the Hopper 3 now? I've looked everywhere can can't find anything. Please help!! Thanks!
PS I'm loathe to call DISH tech support because the other day when I called, the woman on the phone couldn't help me hook up the Joey. I had to figure it out myself. She said it's not possible. So obviously no one there is going to be able to help me. I could call the local DISH installers and see if they can help me, but I'd rather get a quicker answer if possible.

The only RF connection are for a remote antenna and for a proprietary node connection (whatever that is) so no channel three output.
There does seem to be composite video/audio outputs on the back. On some units when you connect the HDMI it turns them off but it's worth trying them. Select the av input on the VCR/DVD as you source.

slanoue

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Yes, I did try that already, and it didn't work. "That's what I meant by "with the rca a/v cables But I tried it again and now it's working. Thanks, anyway!

linsteve65

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

On your dvd players remote, select auto channel search...it should find the channel that the joey plays through. It worked for me...good luck!

linsteve65

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

On your dvd players remote, select auto channel search...it should find the channel that the joey plays through. It worked for me...good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.