Connect Mac Air to Tv and Soundbar

SonyAndBala

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I have a Sony sony XBR65X750D Tv and a Sony HT-CT790 soundbar. I have connected my TV and soundbar via HDMI(ARC). I am trying to connect my macbook air and expecting to see the video in the TV and get the sound from the Soundbar. But I get the sound too from the TV. When I go to Action Menu -> Audio -> Audio Device. All speakers go mute. Is there a way to get this working?

Solution
A Macbook is no different than any other source component, but once you said SOUNDBAR, I already feel your pain. Because soundbars are very limited.

Ideally, and that's a big I, things should be hooked up this way: All source components ----> SB ----> TV. But unless your SB has multiple HDMI Ins, u can't.

I am going to take the big leap, even though you did not disclose, that you have Macbook ----> TV ----> SB. Don't ask me why not, ask TV vendors... TV don't PASSTHRU, specially digital audio info that way. You maybe able to get stereo only out of it by having a secondary audio connection TV (headphone out) ---> SB, assuming SB has an analog/LineIN/AUX connector.

SBs...they look cool, but they don't play nice.
A Macbook is no different than any other source component, but once you said SOUNDBAR, I already feel your pain. Because soundbars are very limited.

Ideally, and that's a big I, things should be hooked up this way: All source components ----> SB ----> TV. But unless your SB has multiple HDMI Ins, u can't.

I am going to take the big leap, even though you did not disclose, that you have Macbook ----> TV ----> SB. Don't ask me why not, ask TV vendors... TV don't PASSTHRU, specially digital audio info that way. You maybe able to get stereo only out of it by having a secondary audio connection TV (headphone out) ---> SB, assuming SB has an analog/LineIN/AUX connector.

SBs...they look cool, but they don't play nice.

Solution

SonyAndBala

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
@jsmithepa, thanks for the response.

You are correct with the assumption. I did connect with my laptop-> TV -> SB.

My SB does have multiple ins. Were you suggesting, connecting my laptop to both TV and SB individually would work? I have MacBook pro as well. But both my mac air and pro, have only one thunderbolt port. So I can't connect to them individually.

My SB has analog input. But, does using analog instead of HDMI result in loss of performance or data?

That depends whether those Ins are Digital (HDMI,Toslink) or Analog (RCA/35mm).

Ideally, remember Source Components ----(HDMI)---> SB ----(HDMI ARC)----> TV

The SB extracts audio information from HDMI and pass thru video information to the TV, everybody is happy.

My SB has analog input. But, does using analog instead of HDMI result in loss of performance or data
Analog can only do 2.1 max, Digital is required for 5.1 and beyond.

SonyAndBala

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I could go with source component -> SB -> (ARC)TV, but my sound bar doesn't have 4k pass through capability. I have Netflix account and I would like to connect my Comcast TV box(source component) to the sound bar but I would loss the 4k content.

Would it work of I connect my TV and SB through optical cable and connect all my source components to the tv?

SonyAndBala

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I have placed an order for the http://tinyurl.com/h334pg3 . Should take atleast 2 days before I receive the cable.

I would like the SB to power on when I power on my TV as well. Would it work with just the Optical cable between the TV and the SB? or should I also have the ARC HDMI connected? I am concerned if the ARC HDMI is connected, then it is going to mess with 'input switching'