Connect speakers to DENON DRA-35V

loutardif17

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
Hi,
I have this AV receiver and 2 passive Paradigm speakers. I was wondering if I could connect 2 more speakers since it has 2 more inputs at the back (A and B). I'm a beginner in audio so I don't really know if it's possible because I don't want to break anything.

Picture of AV Receiver: https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/51/6/1513991733-forum2-1.jpg
Picture of Paradigm: https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/51/6/1513991726-forum1.jpg

If the first picture isn't clear enough, it is written A or B 8~16ohm/SPEAKER
A + B 16~32ohm/SPEAKER

Thank you!

Solution
To use "A AND B" You would need four 16 ohm speakers. Four of your 8 ohm speakers could damage the amp. Based on the text, the amp must have a simple mechanical switch internally that puts the speakers in parallel to each other. The amp requires a minimum 8 ohm load and putting two 8 ohm speakers in parallel is equivalent to a 4 ohm load. That could damage the amp. Two 16 ohm speakers (not very common) in parallel would create an 8 ohm equivalent load.

I think, with that amp, you are going to be limited to "A or B". You won't be able to use "A and B".

kanewolf

Judicious
OK so the text is saying if you select Speakers "A" or "B" then you need 8 to 16 ohm speakers -- which is what you have. If you select "A" AND "B" simultaneously then you have to have 16 to 32 ohm speakers -- which you don't have. You could connect 2 more speakers but you could only use one set at a time without damaging the Denon.

loutardif17

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
Thank you for you answer kanewolf,

If I understood correctly, that means I would need to buy 2 8ohms (or more ohms) speakers to select ''A'' AND ''B''?
Thank you really much for you help and please don't mind my poor quality writing I am French Canadian :)

kanewolf

Judicious
To use "A AND B" You would need four 16 ohm speakers. Four of your 8 ohm speakers could damage the amp. Based on the text, the amp must have a simple mechanical switch internally that puts the speakers in parallel to each other. The amp requires a minimum 8 ohm load and putting two 8 ohm speakers in parallel is equivalent to a 4 ohm load. That could damage the amp. Two 16 ohm speakers (not very common) in parallel would create an 8 ohm equivalent load.

I think, with that amp, you are going to be limited to "A or B". You won't be able to use "A and B".

Solution