Dec 10, 2019
I have a device I connect to via WiFi from my laptop. I then use a software on my laptop to change settings on the device.

An internet connection is not required. I only want to setup a WiFi connection from my laptop to the device.

I’m using Windows 10. When I select the device in my detected wifi networks list it tries to connect then disconnects and says ‘windows can’t connect to this network’.

It has worked previously with windows 7. With Windows 7 it says ‘no internet connection’ in the bottom corner but still maintains the connection.

Seems like Windows 10 is Auto-disconnecting when it realises it can’t access the internet. (which is not what I want, I just want it to stay connected to the device)

Any suggestions?

Solution
WiFi requires Internet. There is no WiFi capabilities without access to Internet. So if you don't have internet access, you can't use WiFi to connect the devices.

Even in Windows 7 you have to have internet to make anything WiFi work. Unless you are instead trying to connect via Bluetooth. Which would not require internet or WiFi. Or you are using a phone or tablet that has data and using it as a hotspot to connect the two.

If you don't have internet access you would need the other things listed above, or to connect the other device to the computer directly (through a cable) to make the connection work.
WiFi requires Internet. There is no WiFi capabilities without access to Internet. So if you don't have internet access, you can't use WiFi to connect the devices.

Even in Windows 7 you have to have internet to make anything WiFi work. Unless you are instead trying to connect via Bluetooth. Which would not require internet or WiFi. Or you are using a phone or tablet that has data and using it as a hotspot to connect the two.

If you don't have internet access you would need the other things listed above, or to connect the other device to the computer directly (through a cable) to make the connection work.

Solution