Connect TV, Cable Box, and Blu-Ray Player Speaker system

cmax

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
I'm attempting to connect an older Panasonic blu ray player to my LG 55UB8200 TV. TV is connected to an AT&T cable box and is functioning properly. I want the sound from the cable feed to pass through the tv, into the blu-ray player and out to its speakers (connected to the blu-ray player). I have and HDMI cord connecting the blu ray and tv that is sending a visual to the tv. I have done a sound test on the blu ray players speakers, and all are functioning properly. I just can't get the sound from tv shows to play through the speakers. Any ideas?

Update: Pansonic Blu Ray Player Model No: SA-BTT195

Solution
Can you not select tv audio input as this is the one you want. Your notion the optical audio from the tv but the hdmi so you want tv audio input on the Panasonic.

First, make sure you are using a high-speed HDMI cable. HDMI-ARC ( or audio return channel) only works with a good HDMI cable that is cable of sending and receiving sound. A cheap cable won't work (trust me, I spent a day trying to figure out what was wrong and it was the cable)

Now, make sure the bluray player is plugged into HDMI 2 on your TV. This is HDMI that will send the TV audio back to the bluray player.

On the bluray player, to listen to TV sound, you change the input settings for audio (EXT IN) to ARC. http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SCBTT196.PDF page 18 of the manual.

cmax

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
The cable i'm using worked with the same blu-ray player and an older LG HDTV in the past, so I'm skeptical that a new cable will solve the problem. That being said, I followed the steps you provided, and I'm still not getting any sound. The panasonic menu allows you to change settings for digital audio output, digital audio input, and tv audio input. The digital audio input shows ARC as an option but does not let me select it. I am able to select ARC on the TV audio input though. So, I selected ARC, verified the connection to the HDMI 2 port, and changed the 'sound out' setting in the TV's menu from TV speaker to ARC. Still got nothing. Swap out the cord?

Artguy34

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016

Thank you for the advice, I had the same problem. When I switched HDMI cables and used a good one, my surround sound worked. Now the kids are happy! Thank you again!

Dec 25, 2018