Connect webcam direct to android mobile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

riaan 100

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I would like to record video footage from a secondary cam (webcam via USB) to android mobile phone micro sd card. Most webcams have windows driver software. Basically looking for a app that will recognise various video input formats (digital or analog)

tkur

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hey Riaan,

Have you had any luck in figuring out a solution? I would also be very much interested in hooking up a webcam to my Desire S, to be used as an external camera. That would open up a world of possibilities. Let me know if you figure it out & I'll do likewise, would be much appreciated. take care!

tkur

bctroy

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Likewise - I want to use a smart phone to record HD video through a USB webcam. Picture a phone attached to the handlebar of a mountain bike with the webcam remotely located at various places on the bike. Helmet cams are available but all have serious flaws.

Android 4.0 is supposed to support USB host, allowing it to run external devices. I assume drivers would be needed and software created. The possibilities are compelling. I'm surprised no one even replies to this question. Is it so impossible or is there no interest?

tkur

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

Exactly the same application for the setup as I am planning, mountain-biking with a cam circulating all around the bike.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found any compelling results.

bctroy

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Like you, I know it's coming. Someone will do this eventually. Seems like one of the Android developer sites would be interested. I posted on one but no reply. Frustrating...

blb

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Any new info on this topic?

Here's my situation: I'm an energy auditor / homre performance consultant. I want to buy a cheap borescope (device that allows you to see into small openings) that just has a USB output, and display the real-time video on a smartphone (and possibly capture still shots or video as well). The resolution is not real high on these things, like 320x240.

I want to do this without adding to the number of display devices (and memory cards) in my toolkit. I already have a digital camera and a cell phone, which could be replaced with a smart phone. (the camera is starting to have issues, so I may have to do this soon). I already pull out memory cards from my dig camera AND my infrared camera to copy jpgs to my PC. (a $4500 IR camera upgrade would fix that, but I lack the funds)

Instead of getting an expensive borescope with its own display, I want to route it into a smartphone. I've read that Android version 3.1 and up supports USB Host mode. Is that enough for what I need to do? Will I have to find a driver, or an app to make it work?

gdufford

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

I am waiting on a USB OTG (on the go?) connector that is supposed to put the handset into host mode. They are primarily advertised as a way to hook up thumb drives, occasionally they say keyboards (one of my primary needs), I am also hoping it will also allow a web camera to be used.

I want to mount a webcam on the back of my camper trailer, run the wire into the cab of my jeep and display the video on a spare phone on the dash. I write Android software, building a simple, no frills window that gives the preview of one of the cameras is easy.

That little USB OTG thing was only $2.

riaan 100

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Would be interesting to see if the USB OTG device work. Would that be compatable to a digital(IP) or analog cam? Most analog cams run on of 12V DC and digital or webcams on 5V DC. Ideally an IP cam with an USB adaptor and the Android handset can be connected to a external power source via an USB multi adaptor

rotemiem

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

Did you ever develop a program that would run your camera? If you did can I purchase a copy of it? Thanks.

alisha777

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Hi riaan 100,

I don't think that's possible for now, I have come across number of people who have been looking after a solution for this. There are possibilities that your webcam might get detected if you connect it via USB but it won’t work unless you find a compatible driver. I would like to add that there are some people who are carrying out their test by installing custom ROMs in their tablets and smartphones for using webcam but none of them has got success yet. I will let you know as soon as I get any update on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.