connecting 5.1 speakers to sound card

Clifford Dayton

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015
I made a mistake and got some 5.1 speakers thinking I was getting computer speakers.

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System
The sound card on my computer is an ASUS XONAR.

I'm hoping I can find a good way to connect the two. Looking for good 5.1 rock and gaming. Budget is $200.

Would I be best eating a little crow or is there an amp with cables that can make lemonade out of this lemon?

Solution
Those will sound better than PC speakers so it will be worth it. Your soundcard should have spdif digital out which can connect to a surround sound receiver with a single cable. A new receiver would start at $250. Any used 5.1 channel receiver wit digital inputs would work too.
Older ones without HDMI inputs are cheaper and would still work fine.
Those will sound better than PC speakers so it will be worth it. Your soundcard should have spdif digital out which can connect to a surround sound receiver with a single cable. A new receiver would start at $250. Any used 5.1 channel receiver wit digital inputs would work too.
Older ones without HDMI inputs are cheaper and would still work fine.

Solution

Clifford Dayton

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

I did some study over the weekend and found an amp for a little over 100 that seems to fit my requirements. I'm no sure how the "spdif digital out" works. I do know that I can use the front, back and cnt/sub connection to have this work. The amp comes with a remote so I can place it out of the way. No more need to have at least one speaker close to adjust the volume.

I will take a close look at the spdif digital out. This something new to me and sounds like a better choice that three wires. Is it better than using the three outputs or just more simple.