Solved! Connecting 5.1 to tv

Dec 11, 2018
I have 49 inch Sony tv with two ways to connect external speakers(3.5 audio jack and optical). I want to connect Logitech Z5500 5.1 to this TV and get surround sound. Speakers are modified, the controller for logitech speakers is dead so i made it work without original controller (VGA cable is on one side connected to subwoofer and on the other side are 3 jacks 3.5mm. I also have external Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro sound card. Is there any way connect tv and this 5.1? I only mentioned sound card because it might be of help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Well is kind of simple in concept. The system needs a DOLBY DECODER. Your X-Fi was this decoder, but TV doesn't have decoder, it relies on your external system to provide. TV USB port doesn't output audio either, so can't use a PC dongle here. Is the current state of the speakers self-amplified? if not, then in addition to the decoder you also have to provide amplification, now this is adding more complication and $$, not sure if worth it.

Self-amplified = Active Speakers = at least one of the pieces are plugged into the wall. If that's not the case, then again, u need to add an amplifier in the chain, maybe easier to get something new.