Solved! connecting external speakers to Sharp TV

Jan 29, 2019
I have an older Sharp TV (LC-46D62U)that I am trying to connect to Klipsh analog speakers. When I connect them I hear sound from the TV speakers only. When I go to the menu to direct the sound to the speakers, no options shows up for sending the audio through the external speakers. The owners manual says to connect to the Digital Audio Output terminal on the TV. But the DAO terminal is a vertical slot which will not accommodate any type of round mini plug adapter that has been recommended by third-party sources I have consulted. Any suggestions?

Solution
You can't connect speakers directly to the TV because your TV only has digital optical and RCA analog outputs.

You need an amplifier for the speakers.

One of the above (the digital or analog output) needs to go to the input of an amp.....and the output of the amp goes to the speakers.
You can't connect speakers directly to the TV because your TV only has digital optical and RCA analog outputs.

You need an amplifier for the speakers.

One of the above (the digital or analog output) needs to go to the input of an amp.....and the output of the amp goes to the speakers.

Solution

Well, ^there is your problem.

Your TV can only output DIGITAL audio signal. Speakers take analog audio. You must add/attach/insert a DAC, Digital-to-Analog converter into the equation.

This question is asked everyday, albeit maybe slight differently, so if u don't now what DAC to get, SEARCH for DIGITAL CONVERTER and u should get quite a few hits.

Oh, and if these are PASSIVE speakers (have no power wall plug), then they also need amplification. Are you dead set on these speakers? Maybe cheaper to buy a plug&play soundbar with built-in Digital Input.

Jan 29, 2019