Connecting inspiron laptop to vga monitor

rnscrn

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
I have a dell inspiron n4100. The side panel has a VGA out and an HDMI out. It looks like this:

GnRuAfX.png

I have a monitor I would like to use as the laptop screen instead of the 14" screen on the laptop. It has a larger VGA plug. It looks like this:

ZepqoI2.png

My three questions are:

1. What do I need to get the VGA out and VGA plug to work together
2. If I get an HDMI-VGA converter, would that allow me to use the monitor as the main laptop screen.
3. Assuming both #1 and #2 are possible, which would provide the best results?

Thank you so much in advance for the help. I am not good with these things.

Solution
1) Plug in a VGA cable.
2) HDMI-VGA is very touchy, and only supported by some devices. Which devices that is seems to be poorly documented.
3) #1.

The only difference between the two VGA connections is that the second has the screws that stop you pulling it out accidentally. They just stay loose if the socket doesn't have the nuts.
1) Plug in a VGA cable.
2) HDMI-VGA is very touchy, and only supported by some devices. Which devices that is seems to be poorly documented.
3) #1.

The only difference between the two VGA connections is that the second has the screws that stop you pulling it out accidentally. They just stay loose if the socket doesn't have the nuts.

Solution

rnscrn

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
I uh,

I feel incredibly stupid. The plug is significantly bigger than the port and there were no screws or anything so I assumed. It took exactly 20 seconds to plug it in. You are all the best. I am the worst. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS