Connecting older receiver to hd tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celesteblanca

Estimable
Oct 5, 2015
Hello. I was given an older model Yamaha receiver (HTR-5650 -- actually not sure if old or not, but it doesn't have an hdmi connection) and I want to hook it up to my hd TV (Panasonic Viera TC-55LE54).
I thought that buying a component video cable would solve, but the Viera has this special adapter that has 2 red, one blue, one white and one green/yellow plug, and just connecting that to the blue/white/red coming from receiver doesn't work.

Any tips?
Thanks.

Solution
component video is RGB for video +RW for audio. you can not get away with just connecting the blue but would need the red and green as well.
compins.gif

your receiver according to a rear shot http://s564.photobucket.com/user/jj_cat24/media/IMG_1050.jpg.html looks to have composite video, svideo and component video connections. the best quality video passthrough would be component however given the age of the unit you might be better off just going hdmi from source to tv with a hdmi audio extractor in between and sending off a R+W rca connection to the receiver for audio. in that manner the receiver would be out of the video loop (it would just handle audio) so you will not lose any clarity. if your source device doesnt have hdmi output then i wouldnt worry about it and component would be fine.

keep in mind that hooking up in that manner will only generate 2.0 sound or via dolby modes it could fake surround sound. if you want 5.1 sound and have a device capable of outputting 5.1 sound then you would want to use the optical ports as in your manual http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=35403

the only way to accept a 6ch input is via optical so either you would need a direct connection from source via the optical jack (and run hdmi video straight to tv) or a conversion box (similar to what i mentioned above but with 5.1 optical out and hdmi video passthrough to tv).

note: you could still use video passthrough if you wanted. depending on cable quality and other factors component video can be similar to hdmi on quality. its just when you are talking of using adapters on both ends because you use native hdmi input/output devices that it starts to get questionable in terms of quality loss.

Celesteblanca

Estimable
Oct 5, 2015

Thank you so much for your answer!! My problem is that i'm so not knowledgeable that I understood only part of what you wrote :)

I'll try to clarify in my naive way .. I'm confused as to how video comes in to the picture. I have the DVR connected directly to the TV (hdmi) and it looks great - so would I want to change that? The only thing I wanted to accomplish with this receiver is to have surround sound. Would it be enough to have a cable that goes into the "Audio out" of the tv and into the Audio input of the receiver, like this one?

Solution

Celesteblanca

Estimable
Oct 5, 2015

Thanks. When you say "analog connection", you mean the audio cable that I mentioned in my link? So now all I need is to buy that optical audio cable and I'll be good to go?

kamranalam

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Just wanted thank you for asking the question and for ssddx for providing such an excellent and simple solution !! I thought I was pretty smart, didn't think of this at all !!

Status
Not open for further replies.