Connecting Speakers to Old Record Player

G

I have an old (30+years?) Poweray Stereo Record Player. It originally came with its own speakers. The speakers and the speaker connections on the record player have long since gone. I am now wanting to connect a couple of Wharfedale Modus speakers by connecting them to the wires inside the box that ran to the original speaker connectors. There are 3 wires (Black, Green and Blue) but I cannot get Stereo sound from the speakers.
I can only get sound if I connect the Black and Blue wires to the speakers. Black and Green produces no sound and neither does Green and Blue. At the moment I have both speakers connected to just the Black and Blue Wires. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Solution

It sounds like the speakers that came with it had a built in amp.
G

The wires are coming from the front panel with the volume, tone and balance controls. There are only 3 wires going in and 3 wires coming out. No indication of any other terminals which may have lost connection to another wire.

Curiously, I am testing with a stereo record that has very distinct stereo including the sound of a train passing by that normally travels from one speaker across to the other. The way I have the speakers connected actually gives me both channels of sound through both speakers.

G

It's a Poweray Stereo sm-2-ic

I have played stereo records in the past when the old speakers were attached and definitely got stereo sound.
I also got stereo sound when the old speakers were attached to a more modern system

G

From memory (which may be incorrect) the original speaker connections were a DIN type with a central terminal and two terminals near the circumference.

G

I think that this seems the most likely scenario. Thanks for all your help.