Connecting stereo pre-amp to AVR pre-out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobroham

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have a Denon 12 channel AVR which I would like to use as a source to my Mark Levinson stereo pre-amp to power my L/R channels.

My question is, can I use the pre-out ports on my AVR to connect my stereo pre-amp?

Denon: AVP-A1HDCI
Mark Levinson: no.28

Solution
Just saw this and I think you guys don't get the point. You connect the AVR front preouts to the ML preamp which then connects to the front amps. The amps in the AVR power the surrounds and center. You do this so you can go directly into the Levinson pre for better stereo music quality and not have to disconnect anything. You do need to leave the Levinson pre at a fixed volume when you use the AVR so all channels maintain balance.
A "receiver" in audio is defined as a single box that contains a preamp, amp, and radio. Leave out the radio and it is an "integrated amp".

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

you wouldnt be the first moderator to attack me and have the website admins come in and correct the situation.
the last moderator that attacked me got their moderator privileges banned as well as their screen name removed from the system.

the day you can tell me i have posted a vast amount of false information, that is the day you would hold a case against my civil rights.
i follow the rules within the 'violations' section of the forum 98% of the time.

you broke them for disrupting the flow of the forum discussion, being harmful/abusive, and trolling.. and then again for threatening, embarassing, insulting, being abusive.

i dont see how any moderator can continue to keep their privileges when they are breaking the rules too.
i suppose i will have to have another discussion with the website admins.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

You go right ahead and do that, let me know how it turns out but in the meantime I would suggest you leave this thread as you don't appear to be helping the OP out in any way, shape form or fashion.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
a receiver doesnt have to have an amp.
LOOK at all the things that can be connected to it.. thus making it a receiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV_receiver

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=Definition+of+A%2FV+Receiver&oq=Definition+of+A%2FV+Receiver&aq=f&aqi=g-v1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=53l3067l0l3163l14l12l0l0l0l0l295l2121l1.9.2l12#hl=en&q=v+receiver&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=BNE1TunvL8rTgQeO2ayHDw&ved=0CBUQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=7f4dbfa3cab1b5db&biw=1920&bih=950

The term receiver originally referred to a component which included a tuner, a pre-amplifier and a power amplifier.

Audio & Video receiver. A box that captures and decodes audio/video signals and delivers the amplified audio signals to the speakers.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

this is the absolute best information for the original poster that you tried to argue with by saying the information is worthless.

i'll be sure to include this act of hate/insanity in my report.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

That's worthless info, I know this because of what I do for a living but if you think it will help your case then go right ahead.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
what a perfect example of toxic poison.
i have reported your actions to 'bestofmedia'
but
i am wondering if i should share the information with more people of power.

i am certain both of you have mental/emotional health problems.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

And this of help to the OP how exactly?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

speak for yourself, as it is ILLEGAL to speak for other people.

i am certain both of you have mental/emotional health problems.

Hypocrisy?

Just saw this and I think you guys don't get the point. You connect the AVR front preouts to the ML preamp which then connects to the front amps. The amps in the AVR power the surrounds and center. You do this so you can go directly into the Levinson pre for better stereo music quality and not have to disconnect anything. You do need to leave the Levinson pre at a fixed volume when you use the AVR so all channels maintain balance.
A "receiver" in audio is defined as a single box that contains a preamp, amp, and radio. Leave out the radio and it is an "integrated amp".

Solution

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

And if it doesn't have a pre amp or an amp then the same thing could be referred to as a tuner.

Status
Not open for further replies.