Connecting stereo pre-amp to AVR pre-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobroham

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have a Denon 12 channel AVR which I would like to use as a source to my Mark Levinson stereo pre-amp to power my L/R channels.

My question is, can I use the pre-out ports on my AVR to connect my stereo pre-amp?

Denon: AVP-A1HDCI
Mark Levinson: no.28

Solution
Just saw this and I think you guys don't get the point. You connect the AVR front preouts to the ML preamp which then connects to the front amps. The amps in the AVR power the surrounds and center. You do this so you can go directly into the Levinson pre for better stereo music quality and not have to disconnect anything. You do need to leave the Levinson pre at a fixed volume when you use the AVR so all channels maintain balance.
A "receiver" in audio is defined as a single box that contains a preamp, amp, and radio. Leave out the radio and it is an "integrated amp".

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Are you for real?...

1) The link you gave me is to an *Preamplifer* hence (AVP)=Audio Video Preamplifier.

2) Why would you connect a Pre-Amp to another pre-amplifier

3) You need to actually buy an amplifier

4) You bought a 7 Thousand dollar piece of equipment having no idea what you bought...showing me you are lying. If you spent that money on an mid-level to high end preamplifier, you would know at least something about audio equipment.

bobroham

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Sorry, all I wanted to know is if my hardware would be damaged by plugging the stereo preamp into the denon preout.

Thanks for response

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
ironically..
the denon preamplifier is ment to have things connected to its inputs and outputs.
(for that big price tag.. yes, i would say ironically)

whether the two pieces of hardware are a match or an arguing pair would need to be checked by a qualified electrical person with the hardware to diagnose the connection.

and if it works good new.. that doesnt mean the same will be shared if it is older and aged.
i mean..
if you are going to bring it up.. asking on a forum with adolescence of the likes from blackhawk, should be a fair warning.

i dont elude people to get them where they are putting money into my pocket or breaking pieces of hardware so they are forced to spend more money.

best advise would be to take it to a mark levinson or denon authorized repair center.
ask them if anybody there is qualified to diagnose or engineer.
if they can.. then they should be able to tell you 'this is within specifications'
or even better..
'this is meeting the specifications on the low end'
or
'this is meeting specifications on the top end'
or
'this is meeting specifications in the middle'

things like oscillation or jitter that might prove to be a spike over specification would really raise the grade quality of the electrical check.

voltage is one thing
resistance is another
slew rate is another
jitter is another
damping is another
spikes or out of specification volume levels is another (high or low)

bring those words with you to have the electrical person check each one.
as they should answer your question beyond a reasonable doubt.

you could also take those words with you to call around local shops, regardless of whether they are mark levinson or denon authorized IF they know what the pieces on the circuit board are.

nobody can say the specifications of the pieces by looking at them and not having any experience with those exact pieces.
but
maybe the electronics repair shop could call denon and/or mark levinson to ask for those specifications to complete the electrical connection check.

simply because the mark levinson wont be hurt by the denon.. that doesnt mean the denon wont be hurt by the mark levinson.

this holds true for ANY electrical connection.
could be RCA or HDMI or fiber optical or coaxial or usb or firewire or pci or pci-e
the list probably goes on.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

^Thats your answer...if you two pre-amps, you can't make an amp out of them. You need to actually buy an amplifier. That denon you showed is strictly a pre-amp. It is where you connect all your accessories...(TV, bluray, network player, cd player.....etc) and this is your processor which does surround effects. You cannot connect speakers to it, you must buy a separate amplifier to *amplify* the signal that the pre-amp commands it to do.

My apologies if I jumped the gun, a lot of people on the forum post studpid stuff (like asking if thier 20,000 computer is good enough for 20fps in a game). I thought this was one of these. However my sincere apologies.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
it doesnt matter if there is an amp or not.
the topic title says 'stereo pre-amp to AVR pre-out'

get into the thread and the original poster wants to know if connecting those two things would be a good thing or a bad thing.

i answered that question with how to find out.

**edit**

you heckled and harassed the person, wasting your breath as well as our reading time.
you might have embarassed the original poster with the insults.
nobody is going to come back and ask for help if that is how they continue to get treated.. that amounts to harmful and abusive.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

The pre-outs should be connected to a power amp, that's what they are for and that's what they connect to.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
the stereo preamp is probably specific to the speaker.. and could be integrated with the amp that drives the mark levinson speakers.

why would anybody want an extra preamp unless it actually did something productive?

funny..
i think that is what makes the difference between humans and machines beautiful.
no piece of hardware that does absolutely nothing at all needs to be connected as waste.
but..
humans are often allowed to hang around and do nothing.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

I'm sure that's deep and meaningful to you but it don't mean squat to me.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Oh lord...shut-up, you are so annoying with your poetic rants about nothing...

And AVR means Audio Video Receiver...if you read what the poster said you'd know he bought Pre-Amplifier...a pre-amplifier doesn't amplify for the speakers, thats the amplifiers job. A preamplifier is your processor basically, thats what he bought. Two processors will not amplify any signal, you need an AMPLIFIER for that.

Get into the thread.

I've used about 1% of the words you do and provided more meaningful information in that time. Not to mention I apologized to the poster, because I thought it was one of the many troll threads, but since it isn't, I apologized and am now trying to help.

All you do is rant about me and/or write 10 stanza useless poems that doesn't help at all instead of making simple and understandable for the poster. Not everybody has 5 hours on their hands of free time to read your essays.

So if you want to use your vast knowledge of audio to help people on the forum, simplify it and include the basics. If somebody asks you how a speaker works, just say it uses electromagnetic-based system which uses drivers to vibrate moving air and creating sound, there is no need to explain how the speaker works down to the electronic and chemical level...(we know), but other people don't care and it isn't helpful at all.

I even tried my best to be nice to you, but you started the conflict.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
a receiver doesnt have to have an amp.
LOOK at all the things that can be connected to it.. thus making it a receiver.

you should be banned from the forum now.
'other people dont care and it isnt helpful at all'
speak for yourself, as it is ILLEGAL to speak for other people.

my posts have more information than 99% of articles could ever dream of publishing.

'all you do is rant about me or write useless'
who has more badges for 'best answer' ?

you CANNOT shrink details into 1% of the words.
it is not humane.

your personality has absolutely no reason to be allowed in public.
if you really had a complaint.. you would have been reporting my posts to the moderators WITHOUT breaking the rules as many times (and many different ways) as you did.

i really hope you get banned.
because you have stepped as far as anarchy.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

Having tried to read a few of your posts and threads I think you are a lot more likely to be banned for posting gibberish, so you would do well to roll your neck in and assume a low profile.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

this is a private forum where the original poster is under contractual agreement with bodyguards and trustees and lawyers and attorneys and such?

no it isnt.

so that must mean..
'it dont mean squat to me'
is when you are standing there lonely and people ignore or neglect you.
i have lived my life like that before, and i usually would leave or force myself onto something.
i learned about forcing myself onto something is not the welcomed thing to do.
so instead of immediately leaving, i learned it is best to walk around and see if there is something i can get my head in.. and then ask for permission to get involved.
then.. if the permission was denied, i would be forced to leave.
or
if i couldnt find something to get my head into, i would again be forced to leave.

unfortunately, perhaps, i have also done a swell job of forcing myself into situations and rising the situation to upper-class (or higher levels of maturity).
as a matter of fact, the local government knows this.. the federal government know this.. and any government class higher knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.